Saturday, Apr 20, 2024

Downtown Review: Kashmir

On the corner of Second Street and Poplar Street in downtown Macon sits a new attraction for people to enjoy.
Only a door with the restaurant’s name above is noticeable at first glance...Kashmir.
After entering and walking up a narrow flight of stairs, a very chic and relaxing lounge is revealed.
The lounge hosts a bar and different areas where people can mingle and sit. The lighting is low and the area is filled with lush décor and color, while jazz music plays.
The lounge provides a new drinking and eating experience in the downtown area.
The restaurant recently joined the Hot Plates Restaurant Group owned by Cesare Mammarella.
Some of Hot Plates’ other Macon restaurants include the Tic Toc Room, Ginger Stir-Fry and Grill, Bearfoot Tavern and Dolce Vita Pizzeria & Café.
Kashmir opened only five months ago under the management of Atlanta mixologist Tristan Robertson for customers 21 and older.
Kashmir’s atmosphere gives a new vibe to the downtown Macon night scene. It provides a relaxed feel with upscale taste.
Kashmir is a very “speak-easy” kind of place, hosting a selection of premium liquors and flavorful appetizers. Some items from the cocktail menu include the Pineapple Serrano Mojito with Novo Fogo Silver Cachaca, lime juice, Serrano pepper syrup, mint leaves, and pineapple juice; the Kashmir Cosmo, which consists of Kai Lychee Vodka, cranberry juice, Cointreau, and fresh lime juice; and the Tasty Thai made with Kai Lemongrass Vodka, lime, simple syrup, strawberries, and Thai basil.
The restaurant prides itself on its knowledgeable mixologists and chefs.
Mike Myers, a Mercer student who works as a mixologist, trained over seven months for the job.
“All Mercer students are welcome. Kashmir is a formal place and is good for networking,” said Myers. “A lot of law students and medical school students come in, as well, as business people.”
All 21 and older Mercerians are welcome to enjoy top shelf liquor from around the world, including scotch and bourbon.
Kashmir not only provides a wide range of specialty drinks but also offers Asian-themed appetizers, like Edamame hummus with nan and sriracha, Chicken Yakitori skewers, Asian Shrimp Tacos with cucumber sauce, and Pork Dumplings with sweet chili dipping sauce.
The restaurant provides a casual drinking experience in a non-smoking facility, perfect for both couples and group dates to enjoy.
Kashmir is something new – more than just a club, restaurant or bar. It adds a bit of city class to the downtown area. Downtown Macon has not had anything like Kashmir in recent times, and Mammarella wanted to bring this type of experience to the people of Macon.
It is conveniently located downtown with the other Hot Plates businesses and attractions.
Kashmir is open from 5 p.m. to1 a.m. on Thursdays, and 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
For more information about Kashmir, call 478-744-0123, or go to www.hotplatesrestaurantgroup.com.