Friday, Apr 19, 2024

SGA and Athletic Department partner for incentive program

Starting this Friday a new era of fan-based incentives will begin here at Mercer University. Through a collaborative effort between the Student Government Association and the Athletic Department all sports played home and away are subject to a point based system starting with the Women’s soccer game this Friday, Aug. 31, against Alabama A&M.
At each game, students must swipe their Bear Card at the designated student check-in table or student gate to collect their points. Every game is worth points, with some weighing more than others. Point totals can be checked by visiting the Bear Card Online Card Office where each student’s total will appear as a dollar amount until redeemed for a stated incentive. Students may also check their points totals at any of the Value Transfer or Kiosk Stations around campus.
“This is something that Athletics had been looking at from last year. We did a lot of incentives with students during basketball season… Our goal was to get students to come out to every event,” said Daniel Tate, Assistant Athletic Director for Marketing.
Tate describes some games as hard to attend due to student’s schedules and classes but hopes the incentives of prizes will entice them to go.
Every event is worth anywhere from one point to three. Certain games that are referred to as key games, will be worth three points. Students who attend the six 3-point games throughout the semester will be rewarded with priority homecoming tickets. Only by attending and swiping in at these games can students get their homecoming basketball tickets. Conference games are worth 2 points each.
“SGA will be working closely with Athletics this year to market and execute this program. We hope that this program will create among the student body a tradition of wildly supporting the Mercer Bears wherever and whenever they play,” said Davis.
“Although we are still in discussions with the Athletics Department to finalize the rewards, the current list of offerings is very exciting. Lower-level incentives include Mercer decals, t-shirts, and free Dominos pizzas,” said SGA President Mollie Davis.  For the top 30 points earning students this semester, the Athletics Department is throwing a VIP Pizza Party in a suite box at a basketball game. The grand prizes for the most dedicated Mercer fans this year may include a trip for two with a team to cheer on the Bears against competitors.
“If we get students to come to the game their the pulse of your atmosphere,” explains Tate.
A “Leader Board” will be regularly updated on MercerBears.com where students can check their standing among their friends and compete for first place. The top ten point earners will be on the Mercer Bears webpage, which will be updated every Tuesday. Tate said there would be an end of the year grand prize.
Though many of the bigger accolades are being finalized, the Athletic Department hopes to have all awards announced over the next few weeks.