Friday, Mar 29, 2024

Time management for finals

It’s just about that time of year again. Crunch time! Your classes are finally ending, and what does that mean? An overflow of end of the semester projects and tests of course. The last two weeks of the semester before finals are the worst, and by the time finals week comes along, you’re burnt out and more than ready for winter break.
Professors have a tendency to harp on students for procrastinating. Heather Ziemba, a junior Biology Major, says in response, “Sorry, I was studying for that last exam you snuck in. I’m writing that final paper. It’s not like your class is the only class I’m taking.”
Rebekah Hogg, a senior Biology Major, had a similar response. She said, “I know for a fact that there are several classes I’m writing papers for when I haven’t even gotten graded papers back. Fortunately, not all professors are like that, but it’s still frustrating.”
Course load aside, time management is always an issue when it comes to studying, even for the best of us. Whether your finals are stacked on top of each other or you have so much free time you don’t know what to do with yourself, staying motivated is a challenge.
One of the best things you can do for yourself is make a schedule. Create a map of your week. Write out what days and times you have finals. Plan out which days you’re going to spend studying. And please, schedule some down time. Your brain will thank you. That includes eating, and yes, a movie night--or two.
It’s important to know how much time you will need to study. Is the final cumulative? Make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into. By this point, you have a good idea of what works and what doesn’t in terms of studying.
Amanda Epperson, a junior Spanish Major, condenses her notes that she needs and studies that until she knows it in her sleep. Andrew Smith, a freshman English Major, says that what has worked before is “basically redoing all of the homework and tests that the teachers assigned. I usually start a month before. I’m not sure if that’ll work for college, so fingers crossed.”
Now I know you’re a student that never crams for a test, right? I thought so.
Okay, who am I kidding? You’re one of those “I’ll get to it later, right now I have something better to do” kind of people. That’s why you are reading this article, because you have trouble with time management. Or you’re just procrastinating and this is “research.” I understand.
Speaking of papers, those pesky little devils have a habit of sneaking up on you. One minute you’re brainstorming wonderfully, the next minute your paper is due in two hours and you only have the first sentence written. But that’s a mighty good sentence you have there.
Rebecca Webb, a junior History Major, says, “Unlike papers during the year, I try to start final papers a couple of days before they are due so I can go to the ARC and have them looked at.” The ARC is a great place to study and get last minute help for finals. Also, if you are really stressed out, why not take a trip over to CAPS and see what relief they can offer you. Finals week is a crazy time at Mercer. Best of luck to you and all of your endeavors!