Thursday, Apr 18, 2024

Sigma Alpha Epsilon hosts blood drive

Mercer University’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity hosted a blood drive with the American Red Cross Nov. 16-17 in Penfield Hall. Sigma Alpha Epsilon hosts four blood drives throughout each year, two each semester, as the fraternity’s biggest philanthropy event.
For this specific blood drive, the brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon recruited approximately 90 students to donate more than 70 pints of blood to benefit the American Red Cross. Students and faculty members were given the opportunity to give blood both days of the event between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
“You don’t need a special reason to give blood,” said Sigma Alpha Epsilon brother and Philanthropy Chair, Andrew Werkeiser. “You just need your own reason. Some of us give blood because we were asked by a friend, some know that a family member or a friend might need blood some day and some believe it is the right thing to do. Whatever the reason, the need is constant and your contribution is important for a healthy and reliable blood supply. You’ll feel good knowing you’ve helped change a life. I believe that more people should give blood because it is a relatively easy way to save not only one life, but three.”
Sigma Alpha Epsilon will hold two more blood drives next semester to be announced at a later date. The blood drives are separated enough to ensure that those who donated blood before are eligible to donate at the next blood drive hosted by Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
“We are considering making [the blood drive] later in the day so we can have more student and hopefully even athlete participation,” said Werkheiser.
The fraternity hopes to increase the number of donors with each blood drive they host. According to the American Red Cross website, ww.redcrossblood.org, “currently only three out of every 100 people in American donate blood.”
Sigma Alpha Epsilon is also involved in various other philanthropy events throughout the academic year. They participate in Movember, a mustache-growing charity event throughout the month of November, to raise money and awareness for prostate cancer.
The brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon are also hoping to participate in a new philanthropy event to raise money and awareness for Myocarditis, a heart condition that Werkheiser has experienced twice in his life. Myocarditis is a condition in which there is inflammation of the heart muscle, with symptoms that may include chest pain similar to a heart attack. The fraternity is planning a concert that will take place next semester that will benefit the heart disease in addition to the two blood drives they will host with the American Red Cross.