Juniors Jordan Locke and Ike Ekeke were elected by a healthy margin Wednesday to serve as the new SGA president and vice-president for the coming year.
Locke and Ekeke’s ticket claimed 65 percent of the vote, while competitors Stephen Bradshaw and Melissa Thompson nabbed the remaining 35 percent.
Election officials said 734 votes were cast. Locke and Ekeke won 477 of those votes.
Locke’s supporters cheered on as the banner displaying the results was unveiled around 6 p.m. in Connell Student Center.
Locke and Ekeke ran on the campaign slogan “A Better Mercer,” and their platform focused on progressive feasibility.
Their other goals include revamping the Bear Bikes program, continuing green initiatives, improving the implementation of student organizations, dealing with safety and parking issues on campus and working on SGA transparency.
“I’m very excited and honored to be able to serve the student body in this capacity in the upcoming year,” said Locke.
Locke and Ekeke have served on five of the eight standing committees during their tenure with SGA as well as serving on two special committees.
Locke has served on the Public Relations and Elections Committee, chaired the Macon Connections Committee and chaired the Heritage Life Committee twice. Both Locke and Ekeke have served on the special committee for Bear Bikes.
Ekeke has served on the Student Life and Organization Affairs Committee, Contract Services Committee and on the special committee for Absence Legislation Reform.
“My legs got kind of weak when the banner was dropped,” Ekeke joked. “I’m very appreciative of the support from the student body, and I’m going to do everything I can to represent students as well as I can.”
SGA President Trent White expressed his enthusiasm for the year to come.
“I was very pleased with the platform they ran on, and I’m very excited to see what’s to come,” White said.
For more on this developing story, read the next issue of The Cluster, or check back in at www.mercercercluster.com for updates.