Friday, Apr 19, 2024

Masks now required on campus for unvaccinated individuals

Mercer has updated its campus vaccination and mask policy according to an Aug. 12 announcement. The university now requires unvaccinated students, employees and guests to wear masks in indoor public spaces.

The university does not require masks for individuals in outdoor settings.

While the statement released May 17 stated that unvaccinated students, employees and guests were “expected to take personal responsibility and wear masks while on campus,” the policy of the Aug. 12 statement is that unvaccinated individuals are required to wear masks while in indoor public spaces on campus.

Additionally, instructors and event organizers may now require masks in classes or campus activities regardless of vaccination status.

Fully vaccinated students, employees and guests are not required to wear masks in indoor spaces on campus, apart from the Campus Health Centers in Macon and Atlanta.

“Nonetheless, even vaccinated individuals are encouraged to wear a mask while inside campus facilities,” the announcement states.

Health sciences students in programs with clinical experiences are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19, and students and employees in clinical settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.

The policy may change based on campus and program conditions, and members of the Mercer community are encouraged to check the policy regularly for changes.

Samantha Homcy

Samantha Homcy ‘23 is a junior at Mercer majoring in journalism and criminal justice. She has been working at The Cluster since her freshman year and served as Social Media Co-Manager during the spring 2021 semester. She is currently a practicum intern with WMAZ-TV. In her free time she enjoys music, community service, watching TV and finding new ways to get involved on Mercer’s campus.