Registered for classes? Here are six registration ‘horror stories’

Sophomore Zelda Tabe works on her schedule for spring semester before registration.

Chance Allen

Chance Allen

Chance Allen

Every year there is a special time in the semester when all Mercer students must register for their classes. This can be quite a stressful process, but in the end, scheduling usually works out. 

Many people have good stories when it comes to registration, and others have complicated ones. Here are six student registration horror stories that might just help you when it comes to registering for classes.

The waitlister

Sophomore mechanical engineering student Alexis Hardy had a rough registration experience during her freshman year. 

“Registration during my freshman year was a mess. I went to register and ended up being waitlisted for three out of four of my classes. I was sad at first, but then I ended up getting all of my classes. I never want to go back to that time,” she said. 

The scared freshman 

I haven’t registered for my classes yet, as I register on Tuesday. I just checked the class listings, and a lot of the classes I was planning to take are running out of seats. Not going to lie, I’m a little scared! I’ll be alright though – I hope…” freshman communications student Larry Sullivan II said before his first experience registering. 

After registering, Sullivan said the process was easy.

“I’m waitlisted for two classes, but I got everything else I wanted,” he said.

The semi-permanent account hold

During his freshman year, junior biomedical engineering major Cedric Sumner had a hold on his account due to a transcript error from another school and wasn’t able to register for almost two weeks after his registration date. When he was finally able to register, it took about 5 minutes to do, but he was waitlisted for almost every class. 

“Never do what I did. Make sure to check your holds before you register,” he said.

The oversleeper

Sophomore nursing student Zelda Tabe accidentally overslept the day of registration.

“The day that I was supposed to register, I overslept. I really just don’t know what happened… I’m not one to oversleep. Let’s just say I didn’t get everything I wanted. But hey! I’m still on track to graduate,” she said.

The ahead of the game, nonchalant sophomore

Some might say sophomore civil engineering student Rasheed Mattis should be worried about getting his classes, but he isn’t.

“Last year I was able to register early because I had more credit hours than the normal. This year, that’s just not the case. I think I have a hold on my account, but honestly … We’ll see what happens tomorrow.” he said.

After registration opened up, Mattis’s schedule for next semester is still uncertain. 

“I woke up to register for my classes like normal, and I did end up having a hold on my account. I know I’m still going to get my classes though, so I’m not really stressing it,” he said.

To end on a lighter note: The joyous one

Although there are many complications that can happen when it comes to registration, junior global health and development studies student Tiffany George had a completely different experience when it came to registering this semester.

“Good news is … I got all of my classes!” she said.