Middle Georgia Art Association Hosts an Exhibit and Competition with a “Macon” Theme

The Middle Georgia Art Association is located on Ingleside Ave. Photo by Marianna Bacallao

The Middle Georgia Art Association (MGAA) is hosting a new art exhibit titled “Macon” from March 15 until April 12. The exhibit features both photography and paintings from artists all over Macon.

The idea for the exhibit was created by the board of directors at the Middle Georgia Arts Association. The board then pitched the idea to several members of the Association. After the idea was decided upon, MGAA put out a call for artists about four weeks before the opening of the exhibit.

The exhibit itself features photographs and paintings with the common theme of “Macon.” Theresa Trail, the gallery manager of MGAA, said that each piece of art in the exhibit somehow features certain elements of Macon.

“This particular exhibit is about anything to do with Macon, from architecture to culture, to everyday life in Macon,” Trail said.

One of the artists who is being featured in this exhibit is photographer Gilbert Lee. Lee is a Macon native and has been taking pictures since he was five years old. Though he has had work featured in the Morrison Hotel Galleries and in galleries in Maui, Hollywood and New York, Lee is very excited to have his work featured in the “Macon” exhibit.

“I do a lot of music-related photography using various digital cameras and lenses,” Lee said. “More and more you’ll see me strolling around town making photographs with my mobile phone or my Fuji X100F.”

The photo that Lee entered in the competition at the Middle Georgia Art Association was taken with his mobile camera and won first place in photography.

Almost all of the artists being featured at this exhibit are Macon natives who took part in this particular exhibit because they wanted to showcase the beauty of this town.

The “Macon” exhibit is free to the public at the Middle Georgia Art Association on Ingleside Avenue. Their hours are on Tuesday – Friday from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. and Saturday from 12 p.m. until 3 p.m.