Local Market Aims to Support Small Businesses

7th Street Salvage in Macon is hosting a Small Business Saturday event on Nov. 24. Photo provided by 7th Street Salvage owners.

This year, “Small Business Saturday” falls on Nov. 24. In celebration of this day, Brent and Catherine Meyer, owners of 7th Street Salvage, will be holding their own event focused on supporting local businesses.

The event will take place at 7th Street Salvage Store from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will also be 18 other vendors there who will be selling their own goods.

Not only are the Meyers concerned about supporting local businesses, but they are also interested in strengthening the community. The Meyers said they believe that expanding Macon’s businesses will help strengthen the community by offering consumers more options for places to shop, and will, therefore, most likely bring more people to Macon.

“Macon is growing and one reason is that more and more businesses are strengthening our community.  We want this to continue and will do whatever we need to, so that Macon continues to hopefully grow,” they said.

While supporting local businesses is important, the Meyers also have another idea of how to support the community. They will also be hosting three local non-profit organizations during their events.

“Supporting local non-profits allows for more great services to be provided to the residents and visitors of Macon,” they said.

Attendees will be able to visit and learn about the non-profit organizations and how their services or resources contribute to the community. The patrons will also be able to donate to these organizations if they wish.

Along with the abundance of shopping opportunities that accompany this event, there is also something for the children of Macon. The “Small Business Saturday” event will also host a visit from Santa Claus from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

At the courtesy of 7th Street Salvage, pictures with Santa Claus will be free of charge to anyone who attends. The Meyers only ask that instead of paying for the pictures with Santa, the participants donate to one of the non-profit organizations.

“Hopefully, by having this event here in Macon, it will bring people from all over the region to this great city,” the Meyers said.