Tuesday, Mar 19, 2024

SGA discusses plans to update printing payment system in Tarver Library

SGA discusses new business. Photo by Elizabeth Tammi.

The Student Government Association (SGA) approved Bear Grants for several student organizations by unanimous consent Oct. 15, including the Aces Up Card Club, Bear it Naturally and the Public Heart Coalition. SGA also provided additional Conference and Lodging funding for the Model Arab League to attend two conferences.

Freshman Sen. Sheridan King discussed a proposal she had made to Interim Dean of the Library Scott Gilles about “trying to get printing credits in the library instead of using Bear Bucks.”

King said that it would be “an additional fee to your technology fee in tuition. That way it is already covered for the year and is not additional fees on your Bear Card.”

Junior Sen. Michaela Jones said she believes that this system will be “more efficient,” but several Senators had concerns about the program.

Senator-at-Large Clark Myers said that charging all students for the printing fee is unfair, as many students bring their own printers to campus and do not use printers provided by the school.

“I know that me and my senior friends use printers in our own dorms, so to pay an extra $20 on top of the $50,000 that we already pay, it doesn't seem like that much, but it is kind of a bother or it doesn't seem fair,” Myers said.

Chief of Staff Christian Hartley also said that Stanford University and Wofford College, “schools that Mercer competes and compares with, both offer free printing.”

Free printing is “something that is essential to college life,” Hartley said. “The university should provide it for free since schools that we compete with every day in things like voting, academics and athletics offer it for free.”

King said that she is  “just at the beginning of this process” and will continue to work towards a solution.

SGA holds open meetings on Mondays at 6:30 p.m. on the 3rd floor of the Connell Student Center.