SGA addresses student organization concerns, prepares to provide funding

Photo by Jenna Eason.
Photo by Jenna Eason.

The Student Government Association (SGA) responded to feedback from campus organizations at the Senate meeting Oct. 1.

They discussed the initial results of the new campus outreach program designed by Campus Outreach Committee Chair Hayes Rule, which assigns senators to attend specific student organizations’ meetings and act as a liaison to SGA.

Senator-at-Large Vanessa Alva shared her experience spending time with Mercer’s LGBTQ+ group, Common Ground, as part of the initiative.

“At the end I spent time with some of the officers, and we spoke about ways in which we can improve our communication with them, and they expressed their concern over how SGA has dealt with them in the past,” Alva said. “They’re just excited with this initiative that Senator Rule is doing to better communicate with them and with other (organizations) in general.”

Senators not participating in specific organization outreach will be working on one-on-one outreach, meaning they will approach students on campus to ask them questions individually.

SGA will also work with and assist student groups directly next week during the annual “Bear Grant Senate” Oct. 8.

Fiscal Affairs Committee Chair Vikram Lokasundaram said that 25 organizations will attend to hear the result of their applications for funding through Bear Grants.

Senior Class President Jabril Edmondson said SGA is also planning to issue a short survey to students to gauge reactions to some of the ideas addressed in Senate meetings this year.

These include sleeping pods, electric scooters, power outlets in the Connell Student Center study area and charging stations in the University Center.