Campus-Wide Clothes Swap

Flyer provided by SGA External Relations

SGA’s External Relations Committee is working to organize a campus-wide clothing swap that will take place April 19 in Penfield Hall from 3-5 p.m.

Rebecca Braun is a member of the committee that organized the event. She said that the committee decided to do a clothes swap because she was inspired by a similar concept that she saw in a church community.

“I thought it was a really good idea for students to have a chance to get rid of their clothes, do a little spring cleaning and at the same time give them a chance to shop for new clothes,” Braun said.

There will be free food served at the event, available for the people who show up to look at the free clothes.

As of now, the committee is accepting donations for the clothes swap. Students on campus can drop off their donations with the RA on their halls. There are also bins in the Connell Student Center where students can drop off their used or unwanted clothes. All of these donations will then be used for the event. Students are encouraged to drop off their clothes until April 13.

Daniela Acosta is the chair of the committee that is organizing the event. She said that her role consists of spreading the word and reserving the venue for the swap. She put up the posters that Braun created and sent out the Bear Blurb for the event.

“I am the chair for External Relations, which is the committee hosting the event, but I delegated the main responsibilities of the event to Rebecca… since she is the one who proposed the idea,” Acosta said.

The committee is looking for donations of gently used t-shirts, jeans, dresses, shorts, etc. Braun said that they want to get a variety of clothes, shoes and accessories from both men and women on campus so that the swap can be all-inclusive.

Braun also said that she wanted to do an event like this to help cash-strapped college students who are looking for a change in their wardrobe.

“We all know that students are always strapped for cash, and it doesn’t stop us from going to Target or Ross or Marshalls and buying clothes when we need them,” Braun said.  “So I thought this would be a great way for us to exchange clothes… and maybe being a little bit more sustainable that way.”