Filed under News, Showcase

Bearstock 2018: What you need to know

Bearstock 2018: What you need to know

Provided by Quadworks

Provided by Quadworks

Provided by Quadworks

This year’s Bearstock will be held on April 7 at Tattnall Square Park from 1 to 6 p.m., said Mercer Live Committee Chair Sa’Haara Bryant.

“Bearstock is Mercer University’s annual day-long music festival. Bearstock is the biggest event put on by QuadWorks, the campus event planning board at (Mercer University),” reads the event Facebook page.

The 2018 lineup will include Kim Meeks, whose website describes her as “a hybrid of rock, soul, jazz and alternative” music; The Burnt Bridges, a heavy rock band; Simeon, a rapper; Some Kids, a rock band from Warner Robins and 95.waves, a neo-funk five-piece band performing original takes on covers, one member of which is a student of the Townsend School of Music here at Mercer.

In between each 45-minute set, local artist Caleb Brown will paint original pieces as the performers transition.

Bearstock is free and open to the public. Food trucks, local vendors and Bearstock merchandise such as t-shirts, hats and stickers will be available.

Community and Mercer-affiliated businesses and organizations can sign up on this vendor form to sell approved items at the festival.

The event also coincides with the annual Make It Mercer! event for high school students who have been accepted to Mercer and their families. These potential new students are allowed and encouraged to attend as well.

Bryant said this year’s performers were chosen either because they performed last year and indicated interest in doing so again or heard of Bearstock another way and asked to get involved.

QuadWorks responds to these requests by asking performers to send in videos of their work. They then use the videos to determine if they are a good fit for Bearstock.

Bryant said that QuadWorks had just as many performers indicate interest as they had space for this year, but if more performers than they could accomodate reached out, they would be more selective.

Bryant also said that QuadWorks is planning more events for Bearstock, although nothing more has been finalized.

“We are still working on family friendly activities to do during the day portion of the show,” she said.

Anywhere between 4000 to 5000 people are expected to attend.

The indoor portion, Bearstock After Dark, is reserved for Mercer students and approved guests only and will take place in Hawkins Arena immediately following the outdoor portion.

When choosing performers for Bearstock After Dark, Bryant said QuadWorks begins by sending surveys to students to choose the genre they want to see. Then, the Mercer Live Committee finds performers of that genre that the budget can afford and sends invitations.

Doors will open at 7:00 p.m.

Bryant said this is the second year that Bearstock has been split into indoor and outdoor portions. The entire event used to be held outdoors, but Bryant said “it was getting kind of dangerous.”

Bearstock After Dark is free for students who present their BearCard, but their guests—who must register on this form by April 7 at 4:00 p.m.—will be charged $5.

About the Photographer
Jenna Eason, Managing Editor

Jenna is from a small town in south Georgia. She is a journalism major with an anthropology and photography minor.