Postmodern Jukebox is bringing their “energizing and electric” covers to the Grand

Cristina Gatti at Postmodern Jukebox at Hyde Sunset.

Courtesy of The Grand Opera House

Courtesy of The Grand Opera House

Elizabeth Daniels, Staff Writer

Coming to Macon Monday, Feb. 19 at 7:30 p.m., Postmodern Jukebox will be performing in the Grand Opera House.

“Many students’ impression of the Grand is that it’s old and stuffy and not for them,” Director of Arts Marketing Sarah Webster said. “But that’s just not true at all.”

The band was started in 2011 by Scott Bradlee in New York.

“They are the very definition of energizing and electric,” Webster said. “It seems they will bring a great show close to campus for people of all ages to enjoy.”

Postmodern Jukebox, or PMJ as they are commonly referred to, are a YouTube sensation and as of today, they have over 757 million views total on their channel of the same name and still receive millions of view per video since their upstart in 2014. Their content is comprised of covers of popular and classic songs like “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey and “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars.

“They’re very popular because their music is always relevant. They take songs we already know and love from the charts and rework them in a way that’s still fresh and engaging,” Webster said. “They’re always transforming things. Unrecognizable but still enjoyable.”

Their concerts are also described by Webster as very high energy and excited, and a view of live videos posted to Youtube of the band seems to confirm this. The abundance of cheers were an indication that the band’s performance may be anything but predictable.

They even bring in as guests superstars such as Hailey Reinhart and Casey Abrams, both of whom were on top singer show “American Idol.”

“The lineup is never set to one group,” Webster said. “So every performance is a surprise for the audience and who will appear is not set in stone, with the exception of Bradlee, the founder.”

This show is in Macon instead of Atlanta, which is typically a more popular spot for music.

“They have the same touring company as Grammy award winning blues singer Johnny Lang, who will also be stopping here on Feb. 20 and when you have artists like that in the same company, it’s kind of like a packaged deal,” Webster said.

“When PMJ called and said they would love to stop by, the Grand jumped at the chance to host the group,” Webster said.

The show costs $35, and there’s also a VIP package which is $165. It includes a post-show meet and greet, a commemorative laminate, a signed poster from the group and a picture.

The Grand Opera House isn’t offering student discounts for this show, but frequently, it offers discounts on musicals, Webster said.