Opinion: The college football system is a broken system

Photo provided by USDA's Flickr.

Photo provided by USDA's Flickr.

Connor Cable, Staff Writer

Another year, another college football championship with an SEC team on top of the podium. I am not here to discuss the merits of SEC football because we all know they are good.

The problem lies in the fact that this year, there were two SEC teams in the four-team college football playoff, and they met in the national championship as well. Many fans felt that two SEC teams should not be in the national championship game, and people all over the country were upset.

Not many people know this, but the college football playoff was created to avoid this exact situation, after Alabama played Louisiana State University for the BCS National Championship in 2012. As it turns out, this four-team playoff has done absolutely nothing to make the situation better and has in fact made things worse.

The prevailing idea in college football is that the best teams get to play in the biggest bowl games. This usually is not a problem, even when some of the best teams come from the SEC. The problem begins with the fact that only four teams are allowed in the playoff when there are many more teams that should be in the playoffs.

This past year, the Big 10 conference was snubbed. The champion, Ohio State, was left out because they had lost two games to Alabama’s one. The runner up, Wisconsin, was also left out due to their weak schedule.

The Pac 12 was also left out with their champion, University of Southern California, having lost three games. The biggest travesty of the selection committee was the clear disrespect to Central Florida, who went undefeated while not being in a power-five conference.

The college football playoff is not a playoff unless all of the able teams are allowed to participate. Ohio State, Wisconsin, Central Florida, Texas Christian University and USC all should have been strongly considered for the playoffs, but they were all overlooked for the fan-favorites of the SEC, Alabama and UGA.  

Ideally, the playoff should include eight teams. This way, each of the power five conferences would be allowed to send their champions. This also allows the inclusion of three at-large teams, which would Include Central Florida, Wisconsin, and another SEC team.

With this system, the playoff would be more inclusive, and the country would be allowed to see a true champion, as opposed to an SEC matchup that no one wants to see. The current college football playoff system is broken, and there are ways to fix it. The NCAA just needs to recognize that fact and get on with it already before they lose even more fans to the snoozefest that is yet another SEC matchup.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Opinion: The college football system is a broken system”

1. Casual Observer on January 31st, 2018 8:27 pm

You are wrong on many accounts:

First off…this was the highest viewed and rated National Championship game in history. So there goes your theory on nobody wanting to see two SEC teams play in the Championship.

Second…UCF played absolutely NO BODY…Not one good team during the year. Don’t even bring up Memphis and beating a 4 loss Auburn. It’s a joke not a travesty. UCF would not have beaten any of the four teams in the playoff. Not one.

Third…How mad are you going to be if they do go to an 8 team playoff and the 3 SEC teams make the final four which in turn would have the real possibility of two SEC teams playing for the Championship again.

Fourth…Alabama was the most deserving of the remaining teams you said should have been in. Ohio State lost to an unranked Iowa team by 30+ points. Not a championship team. Wisconsin didn’t play anyone and lost to Ohio State. Not a championship team. USC was overrated from the beginning and lost to unranked Washington St, squeaked by unranked Utah and was destroyed by an okay Notre Dame team before being dismantled by Ohio State (who lost to unranked Iowa by 30+ points).

Get over expanding the playoff because we will have to read more sob stories from you about how big of a travesty it is that #9 and #10 got left out when they had 3 or 4 losses.

The real travesty here is having to keep hearing about UCF and their unbelievable team that played not one, nada, zilch, zip, zero good teams during the year.

Playoff system works just fine and the two best teams were playing on January 8th.

[Reply]

Connor Reply:

Hello! Thank you for responding to my article! All I will say is this: I understand your issues you have with my argument. There are two sides to everything, and I really do get it. What I’m trying to get people to see is that we will not really have a playoff until more teams from every conference are included. The current 4 team system isn’t a playoff, it’s an excuse to narrow down the winners from the BCS system. If there were an 8 team playoff, we could see the winners of every conference, a smaller conference, and some at large teams which would still let you have your multiple SEC teams. The current playoff system is broken and it needs to be expanded.

[Reply]

2. Sdailey on February 1st, 2018 8:24 am

UCF has been given the opportunity to play Alabama one time. Bama scheduled them on October 28, 2000. The result was a Div II UCF 40 and the big time SEC Alabama 38. You claim UCF plays no one yet the SEC includes such big time competition like Vanderbilt (really, a five man singing group?), Arkansas, TAMU, Tenn, UF, Misery, UK? OK, they have 4 good teams but then they schedule Mercer, College of Charleston, Ga State, etc.

By the way, SEC fans butthurt over UCFs claims of national championship should really shut up until Bama quits claiming 1941 championship. They finished 9-2, number 20 in AP and tied for 5th in SEC. How do they even think that gives them a championship? Must be SEC math or something.

[Reply]

3. UCF Chris on February 1st, 2018 10:15 am

Good article, one thing I wanted to point out on this part:
    “The NCAA just needs to recognize that fact and get on with it already before they lose even more fans to the snoozefest that is yet another SEC matchup.”

The NCAA has no part in the FBS postseason except for approving teams to participate (6 wins, highest APR if more are needed). The bowl matchups are done by the bowl commissioners and conferences. The CFP has absolutely zero to do with the NCAA. It’s a partnership of multiple bowls and conferences (the G5 mostly strong armed into it).
    So, the NCAA really can’t do anything to fix it. The NCAA deserves a lot of criticism, but in this case they have nothing to do with it.

In fact, they’ve basically said multiple times, “If the FBS wants to give us the keys, we’ll be happy to create/run a playoff”. That would mean giving the NCAA the TV rights (like in basketball) and allowing them to dictate the division. Something the P5 would never do. BTW, an NCAA run playoff would be a minimum of 12 teams, because as corrupt the NCAA is, even they wouldn’t call something a “playoff” unless all 10 conference champs had an autobid.

[Reply]

• Opinion: The college football system is a broken system

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Stores closing in Macon affects the community

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Macon-Bibb Leaders Fail to Protect their Citizens

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Is Spring Break Too Early?

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Why you shouldn’t be a doctor if you want to help people

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Food on campus is the worst

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Mercer should add art on campus

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Stop sending good vibes and start taking action

Letters to the Editor

Opinion:  How Mercer can grow its medical school

• Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Why you should care about DACA

Letters to the Editor

Opinion: Being sick in college sucks