Balling on a budget: The best student discounts

Sauced, a pizza restaurant at Mercer Village that offers student discounts with proof of Bear Card.

Blossom Onunekwu

Blossom Onunekwu

Emily Harvey, Contributing Writer

In most cases, you pay to be a student. But, sometimes, it pays to be a student. Student discounts are definitely near the top of the list of college perks, so here are a few businesses, locally and nationally, that will offer discounted rates to Mercer Bears.

Local

You won’t have to travel far as several businesses in Macon offer student discounts. Jack & Darcy, a local boutique on Ingleside, offers a 25 percent off student discount every Monday. The Waffle House on Riverside Drive offers a discount to anyone with a valid Bear Card ID. The same goes for Shogun on Northwoods Plaza and Sauced in Mercer Village. The standard discount for food is usually 10 percent off the total. Those are just a few of the local restaurants that offer student discounts!

Food  

There are some establishments that offer student discounts at all their locations, in Macon or otherwise. So, whether you’re at Mercer or back at home, it will be helpful to keep your Bear Card on you. Moe’s and Barberito’s offer a student discount with a valid ID as do Texas Roadhouse, Subway and Burger King. Chipotle and Chick-Fil-A offer a free drink at participating locations.

Clothes

There are also multiple business that offer student discounts on their merchandise. Starting off with one of the lower discounts, Forever 21 offers 10 percent off purchases made online by students. However, TopShop offers a 15 percent discount to students, as do J. Crew, Ann Taylor and Express. On Tuesdays, Goodwill offers students a 25 percent discount on clothing.

Other

While food and clothes discounts are by far the most common, there are also several miscellaneous discounts available to students. Amazon Prime cuts its regular payment in half for students and offers 6 months free. Apple offers up to $200 off new Mac computers for students. Large media companies like The New York Times, The Economist and The Wall Street Journal all offer discounted subscription rates for students. If you’re planning on going to the movies anytime soon, keep in mind that AMC Theaters also provide student discounts on Thursdays with a valid ID.

There are student discounts available in nearly every setting. While they may range from a free drink to 50 percent off—if your budget looks anything like mine—it all helps. These are a few of the most popular discounts, both in Macon and around the nation, but there are still more to be discovered. Take a moment at checkout to ask if a student discount is available. If you have your Bear Card handy, it may just pay off big time.