Texas Songwriters Hall of Famer Robert Earl Keen comes to Macon for Christmas concert

Country+musician+Robert+Earl+Keen+will+come+to+Macon%27s+Cox+Capitol+on+November+30+for+his+%22Back+to+the+Country+Jamboree%22+concert.+
Country musician Robert Earl Keen will come to Macon's Cox Capitol on November 30 for his

Country musician Robert Earl Keen will come to Macon's Cox Capitol on November 30 for his "Back to the Country Jamboree" concert.

Courtesy of Robert Earl Keen.

Courtesy of Robert Earl Keen.

Elliot James, Lead Writer

Robert Earl Keen debuted his country music career in 1984 with “No Kinda Dancer.” The singer-songwriter has produced 18 full-length albums since then and was inducted into the Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012.

He has not always been the festive type.

“I was always a little skeptical of the Christmas scene,” said Keen

He attributes his previous suspicions to his unconventional upbringing as seen in his 1994 holiday hit “Merry Christmas from the Family.”

The alternative country song celebrates a Christmas holiday of chaos, family drunkenness and gritty humor.

Keen’s upcoming holiday music tour will deliver nothing less than a good time with a bit of spoof.

On Nov. 30 the Texas musician is coming to the Cox Capitol Theatre to perform his annual Christmas concert.

Tickets range from $35 to $50 and can be purchased online. Doors open at 7 p.m. with the show beginning promptly at 8 p.m.

The singer-songwriter said the concert is like a Broadway show featuring over-the-top sets and costumes.  

“We have the world’s largest can of fake snow,” Keen said. “We have the world’s largest box of tampons.”

Keen said this year’s holiday tour is being called “Back to the Country Jamboree” as the holiday bash celebrates country rock music.

Band members will be decked out in their best rendition of rock music icons. One member will be dressed as Tom Petty and another as Neil Young.

Keen will be the M.C. as he puts it.

He said his goal is to get people into the Christmas spirit.

A few years back Keen came to a change of heart about the December holiday. He found the importance of celebrating the imperfections of Christmas.

This is what this holiday show plans to do.

The Christmas concert is now in its six year and has seen major success in Keen’s native state of Texas.

“We became the Jimmy Buffett of December,” Keen said.

This upcoming tour is the first time Keen and his bandmates are taking the show out-of-state and on the road.

It is a big show. Keen had to hire a truck and trailer to haul the set.

The band will be traveling by bus, but he said it will be a little crowded with all of the costumes and props on board.

“It’s a rigorous effort, but it’s worth it,” Keen said.

The November show will be a return performance in Macon for Keen. He played downtown a few years back.

“I go to places that I like,” he said.

Macon is one of only two stops in Georgia Keen is making during his tour. He will perform in Atlanta later in December.

He has had his band for 25 years and one of his primary concerns is family first.

The now Christmas enthusiast tries not to burn off major holidays.

Keens is looking forward to playing in Georgia and said that the Peach State “always treats them real nice.”