How to make money moves like Cardi B

Cardi B is a hip hop artist.

Cardi B is a hip hop artist.

Wikipedia Commons

Wikipedia Commons

Cardi B is a hip hop artist.

Blossom Onunekwe, Staff Writer

Money can’t buy happiness, but as public health preaches, income is a great determinant of health. Without money, you can’t afford essentials like food and medicine, and your health will drastically depreciate without money. In the number one song on the Billboard Charts, “Bodak Yellow”, Cardi B expresses how she worked long nights to make the money she has today. We’re not all looking for fame and fortune, but you can still apply Cardi’s work ethic to your life and be just as successful. And here’s how:

1. Value your time wisely.

“And I pay my mamma bills, I ain’t got no time to chill” are lines from Bodak Yellow that should speak out to everyone obsessed with Netflix. Our time on Earth is limited, and even though it’s important to relax and catch up on your favorite shows, you shouldn’t spend so much of your time “chilling.” If class is cancelled and you have the opportunity to work another shift, call your boss for another shift.

The same can be applied for some extracurricular. If you’re in an unorganized club or organization that isn’t living up to its promises, don’t just endure it for the resume. If you can’t fix the organization, leave it and find something else that might have a more promising return of investment.

2. Monetize your skills.

On-campus jobs often do not pay as much as we want them to. That’s why it is important to have side hustles. Are you good at painting? What about tutoring and doing hair? If there’s a hobby you can turn into another stream of income, market yourself. Cardi B found popularity through her social media accounts, telling jokes while promoting her dancing career and increasing her income. By showcasing your skill and talent to the world, you’ll have more people know who you are and what you want to do. Eventually, you’ll find people to help you get there too.

3. Endure the struggle to get to your dream.

Being financially aware as a millennial isn’t easy, especially in college. But if it was, everyone would be able to do it. It takes great discipline and great perseverance for anyone to be great. For instance, the New York rapper started off as an exotic dancer, making money to avoid a domestic boyfriend at home. The dancer worked long, grueling shifts to make ends meet as a dancer. Now she works just as hard—if not harder—but is making thousands more. Sound familiar? Mercer is home to thousands of students (engineering, law, pre-med, even theatre) that have to endure all-nighters and copious shots of espresso to get work done. College isn’t supposed to be easy.  To get to your dream, you will definitely struggle.

4. Use your resources

An integral part of Cardi’s road to success can be attributed to rapper Bobby Shmurda, the first celebrity to repost one of her posts. Who would have known that something as little as social media can help start a career? Cardi used social media, a free resource, to help ignite her career while still working her job. Just because you’re in school, doesn’t mean you have to wait for your career. Often times, you can make your career come to you by utilizing free resources on campus. Your professors, career services, faculty and counselors all are free now but might not be after you graduate. Use the multitude of resources here on campus available to you before time runs out.

Cardi B is an example of how book smarts does not trump work ethic. If your dreams include making  money and being stable, you’ve got to work hard, have passion and keep going.