Three tickets emerge for the 2017 SGA Presidential race

Elizabeth Tammi and Sarah Pounds

As the end of the year approaches, it’s time for Mercer University’s student body to elect a new president and vice president for the 2017-2018 school year. You can cast your vote on March 28 or 29.

According to SGA Election Marshall Jordan Price, there are two ways to get to know your candidates before then: attend the presidential social event on Cruz Plaza on March 21 at 5:30 p.m., or watch the debate in Stetson Room 251 on March 23 at 6:30 p.m.

Price said in an email that results will be announced in Connell Conference Room II around 5:30pm on Wednesday, March 29.

Though the campaigning is only just beginning, three prominent duos from SGA have announced their platforms. Find out more information below on who’s running. All tickets list the presidential candidate first and vice presidential candidate second.

Courtesy of the Vote Porter/Kirschbaum 2017 Facebook Page

COLE PORTER AND ALEXANDRA KIRSCHBAUM

These two sophomores are veterans of Mercer SGA. Their platform items include supporting student efforts, promoting diversity, expanding campus safety, advancing sustainability, and enhancing dining convenience.

We are committed to serving the student body by supporting ongoing efforts and advocating for large-scale change. With experience and passion, we can’t wait to show you how dedicated we are to you and to Mercer.” –Vote Porter/Kirschbaum 2017 Facebook Page

Courtesy of Catie Byrd’s Facebook page

CATIE BYRD AND MICHAEL SMITH

These candidates are also long-time members of SGA. Their platform items include improving communication and representation, advisory councils for multicultural, Greek, and athletic organizations, increasing accessibility, prioritizing student needs and organizations, creating a MU Formal, and campus safety.

Student Government Association is meant to be a bridge between students and the University. The bridge is here. But it’s time to light the bridge for all of Mercer’s students.” –Vote Byrd/Smith for SGA President/VP Facebook Event

Courtesy of the Buckner/Onuh 2017 Presidential Election Facebook event

OLIVIA BUCKNER AND OGE ONUH

These two candidates have a mix of SGA experience. Buckner, a junior, has been a senator her entire college career. Onuh, also a junior, has been a senator for one year. Their platform includes an emphasis on inclusivity, improved communication, and impactful initiatives.

“We want every student to be able to optimize their opportunities, and Oge and I want to be there to make sure that happens. We want SGA to be a place for all,” Buckner said on their 2017 Presidential Election Facebook event. “This means every student should feel that they have an equal voice.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Three tickets emerge for the 2017 SGA Presidential race”

1. Paul Clements on March 19th, 2017 9:54 am

I recommend that one of them add requiring each department to post the number and % of graduates either employed in their major field or in graduate school within one year of graduation.

[Reply]