Friday, Mar 29, 2024

Lt. Governor Casey Cagle holds book signing at Mercer

Lt. Governor Casey Cagle signed books and took pictures with Mercer student and staff members like Dillon Griffin.

Roughly one hundred students, staff members and alumni gathered in the President’s Dining Room on Oct. 20 to see Georgia’s Lieutenant Governor, Casey Cagle, give a presentation about his new book.  The event was presented by the Mercer University Center for Leadership and Ethics.

Cagle spoke to the Mercer community about his leadership journey and his new book, "Education Unleashed," that was published with the Mercer University Press.

“This state has qualified Lt. Governor Cagle to talk about education,” said John Kennedy, Georgia Senator and double Mercer graduate.

Kennedy gave remarks about his colleague, Cagle. Mercer University President Bill Underwood and Vice President Penny Elkins also spoke at the event.

[gallery ids="20287,20285"]

In "Education Unleashed," Cagle proposes a new model that will reform the public education system. He wants to abandon the “one size fits all” education system, and allow individual communities to design a system that works for them.

“The beauty of public education is that we can always improve [it],” Cagle said.

Cagle called it the “bottom-up” style of management. Because no two communities are alike, this new system would allow teachers, community members and leaders and parents to help guarantee the success of students.

Cagle also wrote about the benefits of college and career academies that prepare students for the work force prior to high school graduation. In these academies, students have the opportunity to graduate with a high school diploma and a certificate or associate’s degree.

“These are the students [who are] out-performing others,” he said.

Cagle said sometimes legislators can become out of touch, but the book is more about a life journey for him.  He said his childhood is what has sparked his passion for education.

“Education is the great equalizer,” he said. “No matter where you start, you can always be successful.”

Cagle held a book signing and took pictures with student and staff members after his presentation. He wants college students to understand that investing in education is investing in economic prosperity.

“If we’re going to be as great as we need to be, we have to be innovators,” Cagle said.