Friday, Mar 29, 2024

Seven vehicle break-ins reported on campus in September

The Iowa Caucus took place Feb 3.
The Iowa Caucus took place Feb 3.

Seven separate vehicle break-ins were reported on Mercer University’s main campus during the month of September, according to reports obtained from Mercer Police.

The incidents took place at various locations and parking areas across campus, including at the Lofts at Mercer Landing, Winship street parking and at the Plunkett parking lot, according to the reports. With the exception of two instances, in which an iPod Nano and a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses were extracted from vehicles, other stolen items included credit cards, small amounts of cash and loose change.

Nothing was reported missing from vehicles in two of the seven incidents. Multiple victims told police their vehicles may have been left unsecured prior to the break-ins.

A burglary involving juveniles, believed to be related to the vehicle break-ins at the Lofts at Mercer Landing, was also reported on Sept. 28, at which time three male children were observed hiding against the wall at the parking deck of the Lofts. The children had jumped over the wall and into the parking deck before two of the three were apprehended, according to the report. The third child ran from police and evaded arrest. Several vehicles in the area had been tampered with prior to the incident.

In other news, a theft by taking was reported at the physical plant on Sept. 22, after several tools and other miscellaneous articles were taken from a service cart parked outside the building used by Mercer Car Club. Additionally, on Sept. 24, a student reported a theft of lost or mislaid property when someone obtained her wallet and attempted to use two of her credit cards and her Mercer purchasing card.

Anyone with information related to any of the crimes mentioned above is asked to contact the Mercer Police Department at 478-301-4357.