Mac Party moved to later date

The second annual Mac Party has been rescheduled: the event, which was supposed to take place on Oct. 14, has been moved to Nov. 11.

Scotty Rainwater, assistant director of Campus Life, said this is because Rosa Parks Square, where the event was held last year, was not reserved quickly enough to secure the Oct. 14 date.

He said there then came a debate of whether the date or the location should be changed.  

“We decided we really liked the location, so we decided to push it back,” Rainwater said.

Rosa Parks Square is right in the middle of downtown and is a central location for students from Middle Georgia State, Mercer University and Wesleyan College. It is also close to one of Mercer’s trolley stops, which makes it more easily accessible for students traveling between campus and downtown.

The Mac Party is an event started last year by College Hill Alliance to allow students from Middle Georgia State, Mercer University and Wesleyan College to come together and experience downtown Macon.

“Since College Hill has sunsetted, Middle Georgia State, Mercer University and Wesleyan College have taken [Mac Party] on as an event that we would like to continue,” Rainwater said.

Rainwater said that each of the schools has a group of students that are working on different projects for the event.

“At Mercer, the Student Government Association is working on getting businesses to come out, set up tables and give away free food,” he said.

“I think Mac Party is a great way to integrate students into the Macon community and explore many of the different local businesses and vendors that Macon has to offer,” said Elizabeth McKay, SGA president.

Rainwater also said that the Weekends at Mercer committee of Quadworks is working on funding to buy t-shirts and tote bags to give out at the event.

Sam Dunklin, a member of the Weekends at Mercer committee, said, “We hope that students will feel a sense of community in the place they call home away from home and will want to discover more about this historic city once they see all it has to offer.”

Rainwater said this year the Mac Party will be expanded beyond downtown to include all of Macon.

[We want] to just get students engaged and [help them] feel like they are a part of the community,” Rainwater said.