Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Caleb Brown, senior psychology major, said he didn't start painting until a year ago.

Jayla Moody

Jayla Moody, Contributing Writer

Caleb Brown, a senior psychology major and art minor from Fayetteville, Georgia, came to Mercer University to study physical therapy and to play football.

“I just decided to pursue art full time in January, and now in March I’ve already reached over half of my goals,” Brown said.

Brown has been drawing for as long as he can remember.

“I didn’t actually start painting until about a year ago,” Brown said.

He took a painting course to satisfy an art minor and ended up falling in love with it. He attributes much of his painting ability to art professor Eric O’Dell.

“[O’Dell] really fostered my God-given gifts,” Brown said. “He helped me develop into a better painter.” After making a major decision in January, Brown hasn’t stopped working since.

“I’ve launched my website. I’ve already been in a couple of galleries, and I’ve done some work for some pretty cool people,” he said.

Brown has created several paintings for the Atlanta based hip-hop group Migos.

“I live by FINAO, [failure is not an option], and Malcolm X taught me that,” Brown said.

Jayla Moody

“I just happened to send them an Instagram direct message, and Offset, one of the members, just happened to see it,” Brown said. “Ever since then, he’s pretty much made me their official artist.”

Brown has also done a painting for this year’s Super Bowl MVP Von Miller and for the NFL Comeback Player of the year Eric Berry. He also has a painting of Martin Luther King Jr. downtown at the Macon Arts Alliance.

Earlier this year, Brown did an interview for local news television station 41NBC/WMGT about using his art as a form of service. In February, he did an art performance during the intermission of Mercer’s Organization of Black Student’s annual Date Auction.

Brown’s role model is Malcolm X, not just for his political views, but also for his relentlessness in pursuing goals.

“I live by FINAO [failure is not an option], and Malcolm taught me that,” Brown said. “I’m going to give everything I got to try and achieve my goals.”

His other role models in art include professor Eric O’Dell, Michelangelo, New Orleans artist John Moody and performance artist David Garibaldi.

Brown said that he’s met a lot of people at Mercer who are pursuing career paths that assure them financial security, but they don’t really love what they’re doing.

“What I’ve found in art is something that wakes me up in the morning, something that I cry and die about,” he said. “Through my art I want to serve as an example to those who may be scared to pursue their real goals, their childhood dreams, the stuff that most people would consider unstable.”

Brown said that his art doesn’t have a specific theme, but the reason he paints definitely has meaning.

He said he wants to inspire other people to pursue their goals.

The 41NBC/WMGT interview and more of Brown’s art can be found on http://www.artbycalebbrown.com/  and on his Instagram page @finao24_.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown”

1. Sytavious Brown on March 31st, 2016 3:13 pm

It’s great to see you spreading positivity Caleb. May God continue to let your light shine from now until the end of time.

[Reply]

2. Sonja Moss on April 1st, 2016 4:33 am

Caleb I pray God continue to bless all you put your hands to do according to His Will. I know your Mother is soooo blessed by all that you’re doing and she is as Proud as a Peacock as well as she should be. Continue to follow your heart and passion because it shows that you love what you do. Keep God 1st and stick with the assignment He has given you and He will consistently open doors on your behalf that no man can close. Jeremiah 1: 4-9

May God’s Spirit and Power always rest upon you….

[Reply]

3. brenda taylor on June 22nd, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi. Met you at your dad’s wedding. I was very impressed with your work. May God continue to bless you. You are a true artist. By the way I am Hazel ‘s aunt. The lady with the grey hair short haircut.

[Reply]

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Macon Open Air Market will host local artists and designers

• Arts & Entertainment

Mercer sophomore promotes fitness and confidence through her love for dance

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Celebrate Fall and October fun with these Arts and Entertainment events

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Jhene Aiko takes us on a “Trip” through her life

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Mercer Artist: Brittany Wiggins

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Inside Gaga: Five Foot Two

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Art

In town for Fall Break? Centenary Church hosting Artrepreneur Market

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

ASAP Ferg is ‘Still Striving’ to be the best in the game

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

Too bad to be true: How “Handbook for Mortals” fell from the NY Times Bestseller list

• Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown

If you don’t watch “Insecure” baby, what are you doing?

Mercer Artist: Caleb Brown