Friday, Mar 29, 2024

McKay and Scherf win SGA Presidential Election

Elizabeth McKay, 2016-17 president, left, and Aaron Scherf, vice president, celebrate after winning the election 54 percent to 46 percent.

After two weeks of campaigning, Elizabeth McKay and Aaron Scherf have been named the President and Vice President of Mercer’s Student Government Association for the next academic year.

The team defeated Reed Jones and Jordan Hester 542 to 465 on March 29.

McKay and Scherf have a combined total of five year’s experience on SGA, with time in particular spent on committees that focus on public relations, marketing and campus outreach.

McKay, the president elect, said that she was excited about the win but relieved that the process was over.

image (1)

“These two weeks have been incredible and so much fun and I just feel so ready for next year,” she said.

McKay is a junior studying Political Science and Communications. She’s a member of Alpha Delta Pi and has worked as a Legislative Intern in the office of Senator Johnny Isakson in addition to her work with SGA.

Scherf, the vice president elect, is a junior studying Business Administration and International Business. He’s a member of Lambda Chi Alpha and has served as an intern with NewTown Macon, an organization that focuses on revitalizing downtown Macon.

“I take it as a victory, but definitely as a challenge to get ready for next year,” Scherf said.

According to their platform, McKay and Scherf are planning to:

• Publish SGA’s complete budget and update students on big changes and allocations

• Prioritize the SGA budget so more money goes directly to student organizations.

• Work with the Board of Appropriations to finalize the amendment allowing student orgs to request funding for food for cultural events

• Work with the administration to keep class sizes small, offer enough sections for required courses, and recognize our best professors for being so involved

• Implement new events celebrating our heritage, such as We Are Mercer, a commemoration of the solidarity students displayed at the rally in 2005 during our departure from the Georgia Baptist Convention over issues of religious freedom and sexual orientation

• Work with Physical Plant to increase efficiency on campus lighting, water use, and recycling waste by advocating for higher budgets for maintenance to fix things like sprinklers, more recycling bins at events, and interdepartmental support for a student sustainability group

• Collaborate with Career Services and all of Mercer’s community partners to create and promote more relevant internships and job opportunities for students to get experience and prepare for their future