Autism Speaks U becomes official campus organization

SGA approves Autism Speaks as an official campus organization.

Autism Speaks U Mercer University is the newest student organization on campus.

The motion to formally recognize the group passed unanimously in the Student Government Association Senate Monday evening resulted in an applause.

Led by Sam Osakue, Autism Speaks U will focus on bringing the Mercer community together to help raise awareness of Autism both locally and globally.

It was also said by Sophomore Senator Reed Jones that there are not any other organizations on campus that address autism, or do anything similar to Autism Speaks' mission .

Osakue's constitution explains the purpose for Autism Speaks as “engaging the campus community and the local community through awareness, education and fundraising and in so doing, positively affect the lives of those struggling with autism spectrum disorders and their families.”

The motion to recognize the group as an official campus organization  was  brought up in November by  SGA's Campus Engagement committee. Osakue discussed partnering with a bigger national organization like Autism Speaks U back November.

“Sam is a friend of mine,” said Senator-at-Large Aaron Scherf, head of the Campus Engagement Committee, “so I was one of the first to encourage him to formalize the organization.”

Jones said during senate discussion that he thinks it is important to have a group that focuses on something that affects so many Mercer students’ lives.

This new student organization is open to all students.

It will sponsor a few small fundraisers along with one bigger fundraiser each semester.

There will be an interest meeting some time after Spring Break.

“It’s just another way bears go above and beyond to make a difference,” Scherf said.