Campus Engagement Committee amendment, MIMCA gets funding request, and Mercer App

Campus Engagement Committee Amendment

Senator Aaron Scherf has been working for several weeks now to develop legislation to create the new Campus Engagement committee. The committee is designed to act as a dedicated middle man between SGA and students at Mercer. Already, the group has been working on highlighting diversity and getting more athletes involved on campus. The amendment proposed Monday night is intended to encourage the committee to “act on what it hears,” Scherf said. The changes to section 4 were meant to promote and unify student organizations, especially departmental organizations. One aspect of this that not only will various organizations come to SGA to update senators on what they are doing, but SGA representatives will also be going out to these organizations to update them on what SGA is doing. The amendment passed Monday night, making the committee official according to the SGA bylaws.

Conference & Lodging Requests

Mercer International Mock Conferences Association (MIMCA) has two Conference & Lodging requests passed Monday night that totaled $6,090. Nearly $1,780 of that is going towards their Charleston conference and $4,310 is for their national conference in Washington, D.C.

MViet requested $561.80 In Conference and Lodging funding for their leadership retreat in the spring. After the representative read the retreat itinerary, and a debate took place about what qualifies as a conference, the motion failed, because senators said that leadership conferences can happen on campus, which negates the need for lodging funding.

Mercer App

Downloads of Mercer app spiked during homecoming from an average of 3 per day to 19 per day, totaling 1,188 downloads. Senator Williams said that those numbers were good.

Upcoming SGA events

• Senate is addressing squat rack in gym this week

• Aramark Survey has been posted for students to fill out

• Car Safety event: Nov. 11 (checking oil, tires, etc.)

• Campus Safety Walk: Nov. 11

• Dean’s Council Nov. 19

Upcoming campus events

• Paint the Town Orange Business of the month is Lemongrass Thai Bistro

• Make-end Festival is Nov. 14-15. It is a makers convention for local vendors and will feature attractions including a 30 ft. fire-breathing robot.

• Heritage Life Committee Christmas Tree Lighting working to be a more cohesive and engaging event for student organizations. After an Informal vote in senate, it’s decided that the coffee mugs this year will be Mercer spirit themed..

• Last Bear Forum of the semester will be the last senate of the semester.

• Mercer Maniacs are still planning bus to Furman for Nov. 14th game