Tuesday, Mar 19, 2024

Mercer professors join in special faculty artist recital

Martha Malone is Townsend’s chair of vocal studies and director of opera. She will be performing alongside Robert Kosowski in the upcoming faculty art recital.

This year, one of the Townsend School of Music’s faculty artist recitals will be performed with a twist.

On Oct. 27, Townsend voice faculty members Martha Malone and Richard Kosowski will join to perform a variety of chamber music alongside pianist Carol Goff, including both solo and duet repertoire.

Malone, Townsend’s chair of vocal studies and director of opera, expressed her excitement for the recital.

“It’s fulfilling for us [as professionals],” Malone said. “[It’s] important for students to hear us perform.”

This faculty recital will differ from comparable recitals held in recent years in that it will include many elements of chamber music. In addition to voice and piano, various other instruments — including strings and woodwinds — will be incorporated into the performance. Instrumentalists will include former and current colleagues of the Townsend professors as well as active Mercer students.

Faculty recitals give professors the opportunity to perform their favorite repertoire. Malone will be performing selections from Bach and Vivaldi, and Kosowski has selected pieces from Handel and Benjamin Britten. During the Britten piece, Kosowski will be singing a duet with his wife, mezzo-soprano Mary Beth Kosowski.

In addition to his other titles, Kosowski serves as the director of graduate studies at Townsend and directs the Mercer University Children’s Choir. An operatic tenor, Kosowski received his doctor of musical arts from the University of Houston Moores School of Music.

Malone is a classically trained soprano, having received her doctor of musical arts degree in performance from Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music.

Malone and Kosowski have recently begun rehearsals for Mercer University Opera’s production of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Oklahoma!” with Malone directing and Kosowski conducting and serving as music director.

Carol Goff, chair of keyboard studies and coordinator of the collaborative piano program at Townsend, also serves as an associate professor. Goff received her doctor of musical arts degree in piano performance and accompanying from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

For complete details on the faculty arts recitals, visit the calendar section on the Townsend School of Music website at music.mercer.edu.