Tuesday, Apr 16, 2024

SGA recognizes three new student organizations

At the SGA meeting on Monday, Sept. 14, student representatives from three new campus organizations stood up and made the case to receive official recognition from SGA.

These students represented CURE Mercer, the Student Managed Investment Fund and a chapter of the National Press Photographers Association.

Although some of these organizations have already held meetings, receiving recognition from SGA is an important step in becoming full-fledged organizations.

SGA Senator Michael Smith, who represents the sophomore class, explained that “the reason organizations seek SGA sponsorship is mainly to receive funding … through Bear Grants and other sources we provide.”

Before the senators and executive officers of SGA heard from the representatives, Dean Pearson, SGA’s advisor, reminded them that the two primary criteria that they should consider when deciding whether to award recognition to student organizations are whether they are redundant or discriminatory.

Pearson explained that redundancy is an important consideration in decisions of this kind because SGA only has so much money to grant to student organizations. Having redundant organizations would mean that the money would be split up between more organizations than it needs to be.

The first organization up to bat was CURE Mercer. The president of CURE Mercer, Marina Mixon, explained that CURE Mercer will be a chapter of CURE International, a Christian nonprofit organization based in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania that raises money to pay for treatments and surgeries for children suffering from life-threatening illnesses in countries all over the globe.

Mixon said that Mercer’s chapter would partner with a hospital in a foreign country and fundraise to help the children being treated there.

She emphasized that CURE Mercer would also take an interest in the needs of local children suffering with illnesses and would send volunteers to local hospitals to spend time with young residents.

As further evidence of CURE Mercer’s potential to have a substantial impact on campus, Mixon cited the fact that 100 students have already expressed interest in the club. Her message to the SGA officers was well-received; CURE Mercer was granted recognition.

CURE Mercer will be having a 1920’s-themed event in October, which will be their biggest fundraiser of the semester.  

Next, Jenna Eason, a sophomore majoring in journalism, made the case for Mercer’s newly-formed chapter of the National Press Photographers Association to receive recognition.

Eason described the purpose of the National Press Photographers Association as being “to spark interest in visual storytelling and create connections for students with professional photographers throughout the nation.”

Eason said that it is quite an honor for Mercer to have a chapter of this organization because there are only twelve collegiate chapters in the nation.

She also said that several professional photographers who work for the (Macon) Telegraph and Georgia Public Broadcasting have already expressed interest in working with the new club.

The students on SGA awarded official recognition to Mercer’s chapter of the National Press Photographers Association.   

The last organization to make a request for recognition was the new Student Managed Investment Fund (SMIF).

Members of this organization will learn the ins and outs of investing in the stock market through the use of some real money, provided by alumni of the School of Business and some fake money to introduce students to investing with less of the risk.

Profits from the investments will be divided with some going towards scholarships and the rest going back into the investment funds.

Senator Caroline Loos, chair of SGA’s committee on student life and organizational affairs, shared with her fellow senators that SMIF, already had a lot of support from the business school.

The Student Managed Investment Fund was approved.