Mercerians, prepare to be entertained: even more of Macon’s most beloved arts venues

The historic Bell House, home to the Robert McDuffie Center for Strings, opens its doors to students and faculty for numerous student recitals and concerts.

Mercer Marketing and Communications

Mercer Marketing and Communications

Mercer Marketing and Communications

Conner Wood, Editor in Chief

Here is a bigger and better list of the local cultural experiences that abound in and around town for the lover of the arts in us all.

Douglass Theatre

Recently renovated, The Douglass Theatre has been a cornerstone in Macon’s downtown music and film scene since 1921. Otis Redding, James Brown, Little Richard and other blues and jazz legends have graced its stage. With film festivals and educational seminars, there’s always something for everyone to enjoy. The theatre also aims to keep the community in mind by partnering with local children who in turn help create film presentations. Upcoming shows and events in the next few months are “Go Jazz,” “Senior Cinema” and “Hamlet.” The Douglass Theatre is located at 355 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

The Gallery at Macon Arts Alliance

The Gallery at Macon Arts Alliance is a uniquely beautiful place. Two hundred artists from all walks of media and ways of life have their works featured at the gallery. Sculptures, paintings, photography and pottery is just the tip of the artistic iceberg that is the gallery.
Every first friday of the month there are free, evening exhibits of local and regional artists The gallery is located at 486 First St.

The 567 Center for Renewal

The 567 Center for Renewal is a center designed specifically for the collaboration of entrepreneurs, business men and women as well as striving music artists and even creative-minded people. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to hosting events, such as Bragg Jam, the Macon Film Festival and many more. Prices vary depending on the event hosted. For more information about upcoming events, go online to the567.org.

Fresh Produce Records

Fresh Produce opened its doors to customers in September 2013, and ever since it has welcomed local musical acts, artists and produce-lovers alike — not your typical record store. Some make consider Fresh Produce as Macon’s go-to spot for vinyl records of all genres, new and old, the strange and the conventional. People walk in to buy their favorite album and end up being entertained with a live music show while eating a fresh apple. Find Fresh Produce Records at 451 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

Robert McDuffie Center for Strings at the Bell House

Mercer University Townsend School of Music had a vision, and that vision became reality with the creation of the McDuffie Center for Strings. With a limited enrollment of 26 students consisting of 12 violinists, six violists, six celloists and two double bassists The McDuffie Center for Strings is home to some of the most talented and gifted student musicians from around the world. The musicians chosen for the program have many opportunities by being a student in the respected program that usually come from years of professionally performing and networking in the music industry that they get multiple chances to collaborate with and record alongside the best orchestras, string ensembles and conductors. Last year, the Center was granted a place of its own at the beautifully renovated Bell House, which serves as practice and performance space for the budding professional musicians. For more information about auditions or events, visit them online at departments.mercer.edu/mcduffie.

Tubman Museum

The new 49,000 square foot building on Cherry Street is not only filled with history, but it is filled with her story — the story of Harriott Tubman herself. Known to the world as the “Black Moses,” Tubman risked her life to save the lives of other human beings. Her story along with many other notable African Americans’ is on display at the Tubman Museum. Earlier this year, the museum moved locations from Walnut to Cherry streets.

About the Writer
Conner Wood, Editor in Chief

Conner Wood is a senior journalism student at Mercer University's Center for Collaborative Journalism. She has contributed to The Cluster since her freshman...