Thursday, Mar 28, 2024

New app keeps students, Macon in the know

Mercer Student Government Association recently launched Mercer Mobile, a mobile application that aims to connect students and the local community to Mercer University and Macon.

The application is available for download on iOS and Android web-enabled phones or devices. Using Mercer Mobile, students can keep updated with the university calendar, news, social media accounts, campus alerts, emergency numbers, course schedules and online purchasing of tickets for athletic events.

Mercer students also can get plugged into Macon’s community calendar by downloading the application, which features Ovations 365, an online source for arts, and culture and community events in central Georgia.

“We’re trying to give the [Mercer] faculty, staff and administration a tool to actually communicate with our 21st-century-technology-driven students,” said Joey Wozniak, SGA president.

Mercer’s SGA and Information Technology department teamed up with the Virginia-based company, Dub Labs, to help develop the application.

Plans for launching of the campus-wide Mercer Mobile app began in 2012 and was spearheaded by Melina Hettiaratchi, SGA senior class president. SGA president, Joey Wozniak and SGA vice president, Victoria Conley, joined the project this past year and have assisted in the development of the application.

Mercer Mobile not only includes what Mercer students want featured on the app, but it has now become more about creating a cohesive application for the surrounding community, too, Hettiaratchi said.

Mercer’s freshman class has already downloaded the app and SGA will be examining reviews in the app store, and plans to scrutinize data to know which links in the app are most popular.