Top 7 Mercer Traditions Not to Miss

The annual homecoming pep rally is an even all Mercer student look forward to. MERCER MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS

Saldivia-Jones Photography

Saldivia-Jones Photography

Douglas Pearson

Welcome Mercerians. For those of you who are new to Mercer University, I think you will find that you have selected an exceptional institution of higher education, one that is rich in heritage and tradition. Surprisingly, though, many folks are not fully aware of the great commemorative events that take place here each year. If you are one of these people, I challenge you to attend any—or, better yet, all—of the following events this fall to experience firsthand what it means to be a Mercerian. You may surprise yourself by discovering just how rich our Mercer heritage is and how honored and proud you will feel to be part of it all.

Be a Good NeighBEAR, Sept. 13

Leadership and service are cornerstones of the Mercer experience. Join hundreds of college students, faculty and staff who will begin their year with a day of meaningful service to the community.

Family Weekend, Sept. 19-21

Show your family around Mercer and Macon when they visit for family weekend. MERCER MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS

Invite mom and dad (and your little brother, too) to visit and experience Mercer up close and personal during Family Weekend. Meet the administration and faculty, enjoy a concert at the School of Music, watch a movie in Cruz Plaza, enjoy a picnic lunch with jazz music to entertain you, tailgate with your family and watch the Mercer Bears play football.

Pilgrimage to Penfield, Oct. 17

Travel back in time to the site of the original Mercer campus in Penfield, Ga. Hear from Mercerians in the old Penfield Chapel. Tour the cemetery where Jesse Mercer and other great Mercerians lay in rest. Take part in a picnic dinner with friends, and then watch as fireworks grace the evening sky as you end a truly remarkable event that brings to life the historical roots of Mercer University.

Mercer Madness, TBD

Can’t wait for Mercer basketball to start? Then Mercer Madness is your answer. Join faculty, staff, family and friends at the arena for an evening of pre-season fun with free food, music and prizes. Join Coach Bob Hoffman and Coach Susie Gardner as they introduce the superstars of the men’s and women’s basketball teams.

Harvest Festival, Oct. 31

Come out and join Mercer families and student organizations as they experience Harvest Festival Mercer-style in Greek Village where candy, games and haunted tours take place.

Homecoming, Oct. 27- Nov. 2

Plan in advance to keep this week open and get ahead in your academics, since you will be hard-pressed to have any free time this week. A week full of events begins Monday for our students and will continue through the weekend when we are joined by our alumni to celebrate all things Mercer. In addition to the annual skit competitions, banner contests, performances and other events, Mercer has a 5K, pancake breakfast, step show, tailgate party and an alumni mixer. All of this will culminate with several premier Division I athletic events.

Christmas Tree Lighting, Dec. 4

Attend the Christmas Tree Lighting and hear a Christmas reading, delivered by a faculty member each year. MERCER MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS

End your semester and begin celebrating the holidays by attending this festive, annual event hosted by SGA. More than 500 Mercerians come out each year to hear the Mercer Singers perform and listen to a traditional Christmas reading. The event culminates with the lighting of the Christmas tree. This event is sure to put you in the proper spirit for the holiday season.

There is not enough space for me to expound on the many spring traditions that await you, including Founders’ Day, Bearstock and Baccalaureate, so look for an update on spring happenings closer to that time. In the meantime, contact my office (301-2685) or the Office of Campus Life (301-2883) to find out more about any of these events. Don’t forget to investigate the many other great athletic and QuadWorks events that will be taking place in the coming months. Every Monday you should receive an email titled “Bear Blurbs,” which contains information about events happening during the week. Then on Thursday you will receive an e-mail titled “WAM” (Weekends at Mercer), which contains information about weekend events happening on campus and in the Macon community. In closing, welcome, everyone, and enjoy all that a Mercer fall has to offer.