Thursday, Apr 18, 2024

SHAPE begins preparation for carnival in March

Mercer University’s Sexual assault, Hazing and Alcohol Prevention Education committee will hold an information meeting today at 4:30 p.m. in the Connell Student Center, Conference Room 2, to discuss the upcoming carnival in March. Any organization interested in hosting a booth at the carnival should send a representative to the meeting.

SHAPE will hold the 3rd Annual Carnival on Wednesday, March 30 from 4 to 6 p.m. The purpose of the carnival is to raise awareness about sexual assault, hazing and drug and alcohol abuse.

The SHAPE committee is asking for organizations on campus to host a booth at the carnival to help reach this goal.

Last year’s carnival was very successful. Over 300 students attended the carnival and this year the committee is hoping for an even larger turnout.

Alexis Moss, graduate assistant to SHAPE, said, “In the pre- vious year we had 27 organiza- tions participate in the Carnival. This year we hope to surpass that number and have at least 30 organizations participate.”

Student organizations can participate by having either a pas- sive or interactive booth at the carnival with a game, or they can provide food. “Organiza- tions are asked to sponsor their own booths. However, if finan- cial assistance is needed, orga- nizations can submit requests for assistance to the SHAPE committee,” Moss said.

Examples of previous booths include a balloon pop, where students throw darts at balloons. Inside the balloon is a question and students must answer correctly in order to receive a prize. Another example is to have a cotton candy machine and attach safety tips on preventing sexual assault to the sticks.

Moss said that booths are not limited to giving candy as a prize and she encourages organizations to be creative.

“Participation in the Shape Carnival is a great way for or- ganizations to gain some publicity on campus,” said Moss.

For further information and updates of the event, organizations are encouraged to join the SHAPE Facebook group.