Haunted Montrose: the house went bad

Mallory Dyal

For 13 nights in October, Haunted Montrose struck fear into the hearts of its visitors.  Located in Montrose, just off Interstate 16 between Macon and Dublin, Haunted Montrose’s Old Slaughter House sits in a remote cornfield. Immediately upon leaving their cars visitors could hear screams of terror coming from the victims of the house’s inhabitants, the demented Slaughter family. The terror only escalated from there.  Perfect for adrenaline junkies and definitely not for the faint of heart, Haunted Montrose provided those who were brave enough to visit with spooky fun to rival that of Netherworld in Atlanta.
Filled with ghouls, monsters, crazed clowns, an evil mad scientist, the murderous, psychopathic Slaughter clan and countless other horrors, Haunted Montrose had something to terrify each and every visitor.  Located both indoors and outside the Slaughter House, the haunt provided its visitors with a variety of creepy environments, including a trek through a haunted cornfield and a crawl through a vintage hearse.  This was Haunted Montrose’s fourth year in existence, and this was its biggest and most terrifying Halloween season yet!  Haunted Montrose launched a new attraction this year in addition to The Old Slaughter House. Havoc!  required visitors to wear 3-D glasses in order to fully experience its terror.
Although Haunted Montrose is a “no-touch” haunt, its official policy states “touch nothing, and no thing will touch you,” it is still plenty scary.  Haunted Montrose has been voted Middle Georgia’s Number One Haunted Attraction. 17-year-old Makaila Bowen, who has worked as an actor, makeup artist and set designer at Haunted Montrose since its second year, spoke about its most prestigious award. “Haunted Montrose has won several awards, but the most exciting was being ranked as one of America’s Best Haunts in 2011 by americasbesthaunts.com,” said Bowen.
The Old Slaughter House and Havoc! were both open to visitors for the final time this year on Halloween night.  Though its 2011 season is over, Mercer students should keep Haunted Montrose in mind for Halloween in 2012. Next year’s haunt surely promises an even bigger and more terrifying attraction.  Those who are brave enough to face the murderous Slaughter clan and all of the other horrors that Haunted Montrose has to offer will not be disappointed.