Tuesday, Apr 23, 2024

Lyceum presents Dr. Johnny B. Hill

The Mercer Lyceum was developed by the University for the 2011 fall term to support currents lectures and event, and new ones around the theme of “Rebuilding Democracy.” Co-sponsored by organizations of the University and the Macon community students and faculty welcomed Dr. Johnny B. Hill, who presented the lecture "Our President is Black now What? Race Relations and the Obama Presidency.” Dr. Johnny B. Hill is a pastor, professor, and author of The First Black President: Barack Obama, Race, Politics, And The American Dream.

Other topics that were discussed by Dr. Hill included history repeating itself, the concern of people losing that personal connection through social networks, and the uncomfortable use of the word race. Mr. Jeremy Tate who is a poet/philosopher shared a poem he wrote titled The Blackness. Mr. Tate also has a book titled Heaven and Hell and Eating Too Many Lemon Heads, which is a collection of poetry and artwork done by Barbara Baca. Many students and faculty were in attendance including Dean of Students Dr. Doug Pearson. The lecture was followed by a question and answer session with in-depth discussion of the topics presented.

For an extended article on the lecture, please see the upcoming print edition of The Cluster.