Friday, Apr 19, 2024

Annual Labor Day Road Race sees big crowds, Mercer students show support

Macon’s 35th annual Macon Labor Day Road Race was held on Labor Day, September 5, 2011. The Labor Day Road Race website advertised the race as a “family-friendly Macon tradition” in which both a 5K and 10K race would take place. The race also holds team competitions “for even more fun,” as well as special kids’ activities at the park near the finish line.
A few Mercer students took advantage of the annual race by participating in the 10K event. The race started up near RunFit Sports on Forsyth road and finished in Central City Park. After talking to students who participated in the race, the general consensus was that the weather was great and the race was a lot of fun to run.
Mary Catherine Rosher, a junior Holistic Child major, ran the Macon Labor Day Road Race for the first time this year.
An avid runner, Mary Catherine did not find the course itself very challenging, with the exception of two decent sized hills. Joined by her high school cross-country coach, they “didn’t do too badly.”
“It was nice to see some spectators throughout the course cheering on the runners,” she said.
For Kimberly Campbell, a senior history major, this was her second time participating in the road race.
Last year, she and her friend Joanna Malcom ran the 5K. This year they decided to step it up a notch and run the 10K.
Both Rosher and Campbell commented on their overall experience of running the race and how it felt to get involved with events in Macon.
Rosher said that she “definitely felt more involved with the Macon community and [she] would like do the race again next year.”
Campbell enjoys running in the Macon community, and has done so for the past three years. “I try to participate in at least 4 local races every semester, and they are usually all pretty unique.”
Last year, Campbell and Malcom ran as Mario and Luigi in the Trek or Treat 5K, which will be held this year on Saturday, October 29th.
This race benefits Jay’s Hope Foundations, and costumes are encouraged.
Another fun, yearly event that Campbell has participated in is the Reindeer Run.
This year that race will be held on the first weekend in December.
Campbell said, “Even though [she is] from the Middle Georgia area, running has really helped [her] learn more about what’s available in Macon.”
The Macon running community is certainly growing, and as a result the Macon community as a whole is getting stronger.
The local races that are being held every year around Macon have certainly gained a following, with new people joining in on the fun every year.
These races bring together different organizations and businesses as well as expose people to different parts of Macon. Getting out there and participating in these events, even just to be a spectator, will help students learn something new about this wonderful city.