Tuesday, Mar 19, 2024

BREAKING: Mercer announces 17 new COVID-19 cases

There are 17 new positive cases of coronavirus between Mercer’s Macon, Atlanta and Savannah campuses, according to a weekly testing summary from the university released Friday.

Of the 17 cases, 14 are students on the Macon campus, one is a student on the Atlanta campus, one is a student on the Savannah campus and one is a Macon campus faculty member. In total, 272 tests were conducted between Aug. 20-27.

The results of those tests yield a 6.25% positivity rate across both campuses. The total number of cases across all campuses since the beginning of the pandemic is now 145 students and faculty. 

This is the second scheduled testing summary from the university, which said results will be released each week.

Members of the Mercer community are directed to call Mercer Medicine at (478) 301-4111 or the Student Health Center 24/7 hotline at (478) 301-7425 if they begin displaying symptoms. Students who are enrolled in a course where a student has tested positive will receive an email notifying them of their risk.

A previous version of this story reported that 15 of the 17 positive cases were students on the Macon campus, one was a Macon faculty member, and one was a student on the Atlanta campus. This story has been updated with a corrected campus case distribution.

Mary Helene Hall

Mary Helene Hall ‘23 is a journalism and women’s and gender studies student who has worked for The Cluster throughout her time at Mercer. She has held internships at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and AL.com, where she covered a variety of topics including politics, crime and culture.