Mercer Police Blotter: Hit and run, theft by taking, domestic violence and sexual assault

Mercer Police is located on the edge of campus on Winship Street. Archived photo by Jenna Eason

This semester, Mercer Police have responded to a hit and run account, numerous thefts, a domestic violence allegation and two counts of sexual assault across campus. Kyle Sears, director of media relations at Mercer University, provided redacted reports from Mercer Police. 

Hit and run

Officer Alvin Bearden of the Mercer Police Department responded on Aug. 25 to a report of a hit and run in the Mercer University baseball lot. Victim Vandrick Halcomb stated that his car had been parked within the baseball lot while he went to watch the football game. The car was struck on the back by another vehicle, leading to minor damages. There were no witnesses, and no injuries were reported. 

Theft by taking

On Sep. 12, Officer McCraine responded to a theft of a bicycle from a Mercer student on Canton Street. On Sep. 13, a bicycle tire was also reported stolen by a Mercer student residing at the Lofts. On Sep. 16, another bicycle tire was stolen from a Mercer student at Mercer Landing. Officer Clark also responded to a theft of a MacBook Pro from a student’s vehicle on Oct. 1. The victim was parked on Coleman Avenue when the MacBook was stolen from her Toyota.

Domestic violence

Officer Wilkes was dispatched to Knight Hall on Sept. 17 at 5 p.m. in reference to a domestic violence case. Local Joshua Gadson is wanted for one count of domestic violence/simple battery. Gadson was seen by three witnesses committing domestic violence against a non-Mercer student in Knight Hall.

Sexual assault

On Sept. 12, Officer Blash was dispatched to the Mercer Lofts in reference to a sexual assault and battery case against a Mercer student that occurred between the hours of midnight and 3:00 a.m. This student was Guysen “B.J.” Bohler, a 20-year-old defensive back for the Mercer University football team, according to 41NBC. Bohler was arrested Sept. 13 at 11 a.m. by Mercer Police. The offender was given one count of sexual assault and one count of battery. This sexual assault charge has now been upgraded to aggravated sexual assault, according to Sears. The victim remains anonymous.