Thursday, Mar 28, 2024

SGA approves six new clubs and discusses updated printing system

Graphic provided by SGA
Graphic provided by SGA

Mercer’s Student Government Association met Sept. 9 for the newest members’ first time to discuss plans for this fall.

Legislation was passed for six new organizations on campus: Relay for Life, Period, MUTouch3D, Georgia HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America), Bears Engaged Across Religion and Collegiate National Association for Music Educators.

Vice President Michaela Jones also asked fellow senators to comment on Tarver Library’s new printing service “Bear Print,” which has received several complaints from the students on campus. Out of the 13 senators who had used the system, 10 said they find it difficult.

Chief of Staff Christian Hartley said he found the new system inconvenient because it requires the newest Bear Card, and that it costs $25 to get a new card.

Senator-at-Large Sheridan King shared an idea she first brought up as a freshman Senator. She said that adding “print credits” on cards as a part of tuition might alleviate the transactional fees involved with putting money “from your credit card onto your Bear Card for Bear Bucks.”

Senator-at-Large Harrison Ivins compared trying to print to “running around in circles” and said that a “print credit system could be very effective for students.”

Media Secretary Bryce Brandvold said the system took so long to figure out that a librarian ultimately ended up printing out his materials in the back.

“Obviously it is not a very good system if even the librarians are getting frustrated,” Brandvold said.

SGA tabled the topic for future discussion after Sen. King meets with the librarians in the near future.

Mercer SGA meets every Monday night at 6:00 p.m. in the Connell Student Center’s Conference Room 2. All meetings are open to the public.