Leading the Way: Stanton Schorr leads golf team as his last season comes to close

Stanton Schorr teed-off during the practice round at the Brickyard Golf Club before the home tournament. Photo provided by Mercer Athletics.

Although Stanton Schorr’s last season as a star Mercer Golf player is almost complete, his name will not be forgotten once he graduates in May.

During his time as a member of the Mercer golf team, Schorr has competed in 26 events over the span of four years. He was named Southern Conference Men’s Golfer of the Week and has led his team with some of their highest scores this season.

Schorr placed third at the PGA Mackenzie Tour qualifying event and earned full-exempt status for the first half of the Mackenzie Tour. The Mackenzie Tour, also known as the PGA Canada Tour, is a tournament held every year at the professional level.

He tied for third place out of 84 total golfers at the University of South Florida Invitational. Schorr followed that up by leading his Mercer team to a fourth-place finish at the Tampa Palms Golf and Country Club tournament.

Although he played growing up, Schorr didn’t become serious about golf until high school. Schorr lettered in golf all four years at Columbus High School in Columbus, GA, and helped lead his team to fifth-place finish at the 2015 GHSA AAAAA State Championship.

“I committed myself to golf, and that’s what I wanted to pursue in high school and after high school,” Schorr said. “It was a lot of fun, but did not always come easy.”

During his first year on the Mercer golf team, Schorr played in just five events and turned in 15 total rounds. He continued to work hard throughout his years at Mercer, practicing on an average minimum of four hours a day. He was part of the All-SoCon Team last year and shot an average score of 72.61 per round.

“Looking back from where I am now, to where I started as a freshman, and now being here as a senior and trying to set a good example and be a leader, it’s cool to see that transition,” Schorr said. “It was tough getting here.”

While Schorr consistently finishes in the top five in his team’s tournaments, he’s yet to achieve the goal of a first-place finish. As his senior season comes to a close, there are still plenty of chances to make it happen.