Autumn events coming up in Middle Georgia

Autumn leaves. October 2, 2018. Photo by Jamie Benson.

With the stubborn and blistering middle Georgia heat overstaying its welcome, many Maconites are itching for that cozy feeling when leaves begin to fall and, most importantly, temperatures drop.

Here are some autumn activities in Middle Georgia guaranteed to deliver those crisp and cozy fall feelings as cold fronts finally move in.

Spirits in October:

Gain a festive insight into Macon’s history through a guided tour of the historic Riverside Cemetery. The tour will feature actors in costume at gravesites as the Riverside Conservancy presents “Til Death Do Us Part” and will end with refreshments in the Macon Public Mausoleum. The event occurs twice in the month of October, running at 6 p.m. on Oct. 18-20 and from 4-6 p.m. on Oct. 21, and again on Oct. 25-27 and Oct. 28. Admission is $15 and all proceeds go to the Riverside Conservancy.

October Macon Open Air Market:

The October Open Air Market in downtown Macon brings an autumnal twist to the quarterly market. The market will feature over 60 vendors selling everything from handcrafted items to homegrown goods, according to the event’s Facebook page. The event is friendly to all ages, with trick or treating and a face-painting booth for the kids. There will also be a “Paw Pal” area for pets and a food truck court to grab a bite to eat. The market will be held on Plum Street on Oct. 27.

Pumpkin Carving Contest and Night Walk:

For those who woke up saying, “Halloween is here,” on the first day of October, the Ocmulgee National Monument is hosting the perfect event to get in the spooky spirit. Starting at noon on Oct. 27, visitors can bring a pumpkin to carve and enter into a contest for a $15 gift certificate to the museum store or simply carve a Jack-o-Lantern to adorn the trail for the pumpkin night walk. Visitors will join park rangers on a walk to the Great Temple Mound lit by the carved pumpkins carved. The park will also provide paper bags for visitors to create luminaries. This free event is perfect for a budget-friendly autumn activity.

Deep Roots Festival:

Middle Georgia’s music and art aficionados can find live music and unique art vendors at the Deep Roots Festival on Oct. 20. The Deep Roots Festival is also host to a car show and barbeque cook-off, catering to many interests. Tickets start at $6 for pre-sale and move up to $8 for gate admission. Tickets rise to $15 after 5 p.m., so don’t be late to this autumn activity. This year’s festival is sure to be a good one as the event turns 15 this year.

Whether looking for a festive event to get in the Halloween spirit or wanting to keep things low-key as the seasons change, there is something for everyone in middle Georgia this fall!