Friday, Mar 29, 2024

SGA updates Fresh Food Company to expand meatless options, establish a 24-hour dining choice

The Fresh Food Company's new Mongolian grill. Photo by Addison Robinson.

The Fresh Food company underwent changes this summer including a paint job, new cushions, an extended breakfast bar and a Mongolian Grill, thanks to work by the Student Government Association.

The Mongolian Grill offers new options including lo mein noodles, tofu and ginger, according to the Mercer Dining Website.

These changes stem from student input, according to former Contract Services Committee Chair Chase Peplin.

“SGA operates as a microphone to relay student input to the administration,” said Peplin, junior senator and campus outreach committee chair.

One request from students was a 24-hour dining option.

“We were not fiscally able to open a 24-hour restaurant on campus, but we were able to add a self-checkout Provisions On Demand (P.O.D.) in the 24-hour study room section of the library to satisfy those late night cravings of hungry Bears,” Peplin said.

SGA intends to continue to advocate for a 24-hour option.

Jabril Edmondson, new chair of the SGA contract services committee, said he will focus on the options already offered by Mercer Dining Services.

The Fresh Food Company has “a lot of great options and provisions in the cafe that get overlooked, and I want to highlight them,” Edmondson said.

He also plans to survey the student body to evaluate responses to the new changes.

“We're encouraging students to give more feedback on the feedback survey platform, Yourdiningvoice.com,” Edmondson said.

Peplin stressed the need for students to speak with SGA.

“Any time students want something changed or improvements made, we will be their liaison to the administration,” Peplin said.