Monday, Mar 18, 2024

How to Volunteer in Macon: Loaves and Fishes

Director of Loaves and Fishes, Judy Sexton. Photo by Aliyah Dorsey.

Loaves and Fishes is a non-profit organization that provides a variety of services including bag lunches, shower facilities, clothes and a laundromat for the community they serve.

The program has been running for 50 years and serves 500 people every week.

“(Loaves and Fishes is) the best-kept secret in my Macon which we hate and we're really working so that we are known,” said Judy Sexton, director of Loaves and Fishes

Sexton said the operation is constantly looking for more volunteers to help them out.

Loaves and Fishes welcomes anyone who wants to spend a few hours helping them manage the many services they offer.

Those who are interested in volunteering can visit the Loaves and Fishes building at 651 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd and speak with the volunteer coordinator Valerie Sewell.

Sexton said that they will then interview you and find the best placement for you within their organization.

“A lot of our people coming in can't alphabetize things. It’s things like that (students) are a big help for,” Sexton said.

On Oct. 11, Loaves and Fishes is having a Foodie Fundraiser where participating restaurants give 10 percent of their profits to Loaves and Fishes.

An easy way students can help out would be by simply grabbing a bite at a local restaurant.

Currently, 12 restaurants have agreed to participate.

To help out Loaves and Fishes, students can also hold “a party with a purpose” where you would throw a party and instead of gifts, guests could bring items to donate to the organization.

Sexton said that students would also be a large asset to have in helping with their office work as well as interacting with their clients.