A day in Atlanta for art lovers

A portion of the Atlanta skyline viewed from the High Museum of Art. Visiting the High is a popular activity in downtown Atlanta. Photo by Serena Golden.

When you think of Atlanta, the Braves and the Falcons, Coca-Cola and the Georgia Aquarium come to mind. The true gem of this state capital, however, is its growing and ever-changing art scene.

The bustling town is located just over an hour north of Macon, perfect for a day trip with friends. Deemed the Hollywood of the South, there is so much artistry in the city that it would be impossible to see it all in just one weekend. Here are a few places to start.

The Fox Theatre:

The Fox is an event venue located in Midtown Atlanta at the center of the Fox Theatre Historic District. Its beautiful and historic architecture is a sight to see on its own, but the theatre also hosts a slew of concerts, broadway shows and private events. The next big show, School of Rock, starts Oct. 16. Tickets are on sale now, starting at $34.75 plus taxes and fees.

The High Museum:

If you have not been to The High, have you really visited Atlanta? The High Museum, located in the arts district, is iconic for its variety of unique galleries and inexpensive admissions costs. Right now at the museum you can explore sound and art at the Sonic Playground exhibit by Yuri Suzuki, or you can embrace the diversity of the art world at the Outliers and American Vanguard Art gallery.

Old Fourth Ward:

The “O4W” is one of Atlanta’s many up and coming neighborhoods. Located in a historically industrial area, the Old Fourth Ward is every hipster’s dream. The streets of this Atlanta borough are covered in whimsical and interesting graffiti art. The hub is also a great place to grab dinner and do a little shopping with your friends.

Little Five Points:

Little Five is another iconic neighborhood in Atlanta known for its funky art flare, food and fashion. You can find graffiti on every building and artists lining the streets to sell their pieces. For the music lovers, the famous Criminal Records, located in the heart of the neighborhood is a great place to search for your favorite albums.

Hodgepodge Coffee House:

To refuel your body after a long day, head over to Hodgepodge, a coffee shop-art gallery-hybrid. The coffee house is located minutes away from Little Five Points. The shop houses a gallery where local artists showcase and sell their work. It also hosts open mics, poetry slams and variety shows.

There are so many places to see and things to do when visiting Atlanta. Next time you are looking for weekend plans, take a trip to the big city and live out every art lover’s dream!