Six Ways to Volunteer This Fall

Mercer students were able to discover local volunteer opportunities on Friday, Sept. 7. They heard from organizations like Navicent, Fuller Center, DayBreak, United Way, Middle Georgia Community Food Bank and Traffik Jam. Photo by Jayla Moody.

As the semester begins it is a good idea to think about how you can be more involved in the Macon community. There are so many good ways to help those in need and they are available to every person of many unique capacities. Mercer, in particular, has a culture of reaching out to better the community around it and now you can be a part of that tradition of service this semester. Here are six ways to volunteer this fall.

1. C.L.I.Q.U.E

Clique is a mentoring program for young girls between the ages of 8-18. The program is made to encourage young girls in their transitional stages of life. They are looking for young women who can give an hour a week to mentor younger people, teach them skills and offer advice. You can sign up to help with this program here.

2. Daybreak

Daybreak is a homeless shelter in Macon that provides social services as well as showers and meals. They need donations to continue their work but also volunteers are needed to assist in helping the community they serve. Volunteers can help in a number of areas including their cafe, laundry room and with technology services. They also look for administrative assistance. They hold a walk-in orientation on Thursdays at 11am. More information can be found on their website.

3. All About Animals

All About Animals in a local, no-kill animal shelter in Macon that is dedicated to finding new homes for dogs. A volunteer opportunity there would include caring for animals as well as assisting in the actual adoption process. To learn more about this organization visit their website.

4. Campus Clubs

This is a faith-based organization whose goal is to aid younger children who are in poverty by providing tutoring services and assistance in developing skills through education. They are looking for people who can assist the teachers who work for them and as well as tutor the community kids they serve. More information about them can be found here.

5. Loaves and Fishes

This is a faith-based organization that is focused on providing nutritionally balanced food to Macon families in short term crisis. Volunteer opportunities include an office assistant, working at the front counter, organizing and assisting with fundraisers. For more on their mission, you can go to their website.

6. MerServe

Throughout the semester MerServe, a student organization dedicated to planning and implementing service opportunities. MerServe hosts events to get students active in the Macon community. On September 7 they held a volunteer fair to show students different volunteer opportunities in Macon. They also hold Service Saturdays where students can interact with other outreach organizations in the community. MerServe posts about their upcoming events and opportunities on Facebook.

Macon is our home for the four years we are at Mercer. It is our duty to make the most of our time and give back to the community that has given us so much during these years of our lives.

So, take some time to find an organization that speaks to you and make a difference in someone’s life this semester.