Filed under News

Mercer Athletics logo to be Corn Maze design

Inside corn maze at Lane Southern Orchard. August 30, 2018. Photo by Jamie Benson.

The Mercer Athletics department is partnering with Lane Southern Orchards to feature the design of the Mercer Athletics logo for the shape of the orchard’s annual six-acre corn maze from Oct. 3 to Oct. 31.

“We’re thrilled to partner with Lane Southern Orchards and their annual corn maze this upcoming October,” Daniel Tate, Mercer Associate Athletics Director, told Mercer Athletics. “The corn maze is a hit year after year and this partnership will further strengthen Mercer’s ties to the Middle Georgia community as we enter the 2018-19 athletics year.”

In the past, the orchard has partnered with Allman Brothers Band, Otis Redding, The Children’s Hospital and Middle Georgia Buddy Walk for the corn maze.

Lane Southern Orchards is located five minutes west of I-75 in Fort Valley, Ga. and is home to 6,000 acres of peach orchards, pecan groves and more. Founded in 1908, Lane Southern Orchards began the corn maze event in 2008 to honor its 100th year anniversary. This year marks the maze’s 11th year.

“We are honored to feature Mercer in this year’s maze and to recognize the University for its many contributions to our community,” Mark Sanchez, CEO of Lane Southern Orchards, told Mercer Athletics.

Corn maze admission for ages three and under is free, $10 for ages four to 12 and $14 for ages 12 and up. For ages 55 and up or active military, there is a 10 percent discount.

“We always try to focus on something that is important to our community,” Wendy Barton, Lane Southern Orchard’s marketing and public relations director, said. “Mercer’s been around I think since 1833, so they’ve had a presence here and have had an impact on people’s lives and still do today.”

The corn maze will be open Wednesdays through Fridays from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. On Mondays and Tuesdays, the maze will be closed to the general public and reserved for school groups.

Lane Southern Orchards offers additional activities to do alongside the corn maze including hay rides, a pumpkin patch, pumpkin checkers, pumpkin tic tac toe, rubber duck races and a corn cannon.

“Take a break from home or just come out and have some fun,” Barton said.

The corn maze will also incorporate signs called “cornundrums” that have riddles and games maze participants can play to enter in contests to win weekly prizes.

Don’t worry about getting lost in this six-acre labyrinth. Before entering the corn cutout of the Mercer Athletics logo, attendees have the option of taking a flag that they can wave if they get lost. Lane Southern Orchards employees called “corn cops” will be staggered throughout the maze looking for waving flags to find lost individuals and help them find their way out.

Following suit of the past eight years, Lane Southern Orchards is donating a portion of the proceeds from the corn maze to the Children’s Hospital Navicent Health.