A Guide to Savannah

Entrance to the courtyard at the Owens-Thomas House Museum. Photo by Lisa Meskimen.

If you’re itching for an interesting day trip or weekend getaway during your time at Mercer, you can’t choose any better than Savannah.

Savannah is situated on the Georgia coast just two and a half hours away from Macon. Nicknamed the “hostess city of the south,” Savannah’s 22 lush park squares are sure to welcome you. There is something for everyone, whether you love history, architecture, art, the paranormal or food. That’s right, food alone is reason enough to visit Savannah.

If you’re into architecture and history, Savannah is famous for its beautifully restored historic homes. Highlights include the Andrew Low House, which is open to regular tours during the day and ghost tours at night, and the Owens-Thomas House, which consists of a Regency-style mansion and slave quarters. According to Telfair.org, Owens-Thomas House encourages visitors to “explore the complicated relationships between the most and least powerful people in the city of Savannah in the early 19th century.”

Being the home of Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), it is only appropriate that Savannah has three major art museums. The SCAD Museum of Art caters to contemporary art lovers and hosts permanent and rotating exhibitions of international pieces. For 19th and 20th century American and European art, head to the Telfair Academy. The latest art museum to open is the Jepson Center, a large, modern facility with rotating contemporary exhibitions.

One of the coolest things about the city is how many parks there are—virtually every square is a mini-park. The largest park is Forsyth Park, which has paths for biking and walking. To see the city’s greatest show of Spanish moss, simply take a stroll through here.

Another great nature spot? Surprisingly, a cemetery! Bonaventure Cemetery, established in 1846, has been distinguished as one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world. Its Southern gothic beauty is captivating and haunting. Since it’s 100 acres large, don’t plan to walk it all in one go.

When you need to stop for a bite to eat, I recommend Leopold’s Ice Cream, a popular shop specializing in ice cream, floats, sandwiches and 50’s aesthetic. If burgers or hot wings are your thing, check out Betty Bomber’s All-American Eatery.

The trip wouldn’t be complete without hitting River Street, Savannah’s main shopping destination. Here you’ll find boutiques, candy shops, restaurants, souvenir shops and more.

All of this only scratches the surface of what Savannah has to offer. If you get the chance, grab some friends and head there to see what you’ll get out of it!