What is the Macon FIlm Guild?

The Macon Film Guild, housed out of the Douglass Theatre in downtown Macon, shows independent and foreign films that are not mainstream. Logo provided by the Macon Film Guild.

Macon is a town with such rich history; it can sometimes be hard to believe that the city is well into the 21st century. Specifically, Georgia’s booming film industry has been the home for many high-profile film and television productions, and Macon is no exception. With all of the up and coming opportunities in the industry, many organizations have sprung up to help fill the void. One of these groups is the Macon Film Guild.

The Macon Film guild does many different things for Macon. As stated on their website, “The Guild is a 501c3 nonprofit organization of volunteers who do the research for new films, produce and distribute publicity materials, and develop the programming.” In addition, the guild is best known for is their monthly films at the Douglass Theater.

The head of the Macon Film Guild is Robert Fieldsteel, who has been in the film industry for many years.

“I had a 28-year career in Los Angeles, during which I was director John Cassavetes’ assistant for several years, followed by making my living as an actor in film, television and stage,” Fieldsteel said of his time in the industry.

Fieldsteel leads a group of highly engaged individuals who strive to bring the best films to Middle Georgia.

“I’d say that we offer the Middle Georgia community the chance to see films of high artistic merit that offer forms and styles of storytelling that differ from mainstream Hollywood fare, unique insights into other countries and our own country, and the distinctive vision of prominent film directors from around the world,” Fieldsteel said.

Some of the films the guild has shown recently include “RBG, the documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, “Loving Vincent,” a hand-painted animated film inspired by the art of Van Gogh and “A Man Called Ove,” the much celebrated Swedish comedy on the best selling book of the same name.

“People who move to Macon from other cities that offer independent and art-house films are extremely grateful that they can see them in Macon. We have a very loyal core audience that always attends, and many audience members who may have a particular interest in a particular film,” Fieldsteel said.

The Macon Film Guild is a phenomenal organization that any Macon movie lover absolutely needs to check out. Their next showing is Sunday, Sept. 9, and they will be showing the film “Summer 1993.”