Moody Musings: Creating good habits that will make every day a good day

Graphic+designed+by+Claire+Hammond.+
Graphic designed by Claire Hammond.

Graphic designed by Claire Hammond.

Graphic designed by Claire Hammond.

Our habits can make or break our days and lives, but we have the choice to make them good or bad. In college, getting into a position where you’ve accumulated more bad habits than you came here with can have a negative impact on your experience.

Procrastinating is one bad habit we may all have in common. If we didn’t procrastinate, we may not have to overwhelm ourselves and be stressed trying to finish an assignment or last-minute study. A change in a habit like procrastinating could be the difference in our mental health here at Mercer.

If you start the year off forcing yourself to create good habits for yourself, they’ll be much easier to keep up with when time and assignment due dates start to merge together. There are a few habits that can help college students have more productive days and more successful college years, whether you’re a first-year or a graduating senior.

1. Focus on the skills and the lessons

If you enter your classes with your mind only on the grade and measuring the relevance of the course to your life or career path, you’ll easily find yourself discouraged. You won’t always make the best grade, and you may not always feel like you “need” a particular class, and this can be draining. If you focus on seizing opportunities and picking up skills, regardless of the course topic, you’ll find value in everything you do. Valuing your classes and interactions at Mercer will help you to become more optimistic and ultimately happier throughout your college days. Don’t dwell on your mistakes. Take time to see how you grew and learned from them and use those new skills and lessons to conquer the next day.

2. Be adaptable

In every experience that I’ve been a part of, Mercer affiliated or jobs and real-world opportunities, I’ve found that adaptability was key. When we box ourselves into only being satisfied with one thing or into only being open to one thing, we miss out on what we could be receiving otherwise. College won’t always be what you have in mind, you won’t always be surrounded by people you’re completely comfortable with and sometimes plans change. The ability to adapt is a strength that will eliminate disappointments and crisis. Knowing that there is always another way and there is always value in any outcome can help decrease stress. This should be a goal of yours while you’re here in college; minimizing stress.

3. Develop a positive attitude for yourself

Be mindful that you set the tones for your day. It’s easier said than done, but it’s important to focus on yourself by mentally investing in your happiness. College will leave you sidetracked and convince you that a bad test, a bad day or even a bad semester has the ability to determine the status of your entire life. Keep yourself reminded about how much control you have over your collegiate career and your life. Everything won’t be perfect, but you have to continue to move forward and to adjust accordingly so that you’re not repeating your past.

If you feel yourself getting into a slump, utilize the resources available to you. Counseling and Psychological Services on campus is available for students to talk in individual as well as couple sessions. They are located behind the Mary Erin Porter residence hall and take appointments through calls at 478-301-2862.

These are healthy habits that can benefit you throughout your life, but can really help enhance your collegiate experience. Making minor mental changes for yourself can have a major impact on your life. Choose what’s best for you.