Movie Review: “Mission Impossible: Fallout” is a fast paced action film that cannot be missed

Photo+provided+by+Flickr.+
Photo provided by Flickr.

Photo provided by Flickr.

Photo provided by Flickr.

There is no such thing as a “sure thing” in the movie industry. Every movie that is released comes with its inherent risks. All movies, from well-known franchises such as “Harry Potter” to indie movie releases, always have a chance of flopping at the box office as well as with the viewers. That being said, bigger franchises do have a better track record.

“Mission Impossible” is no exception, and the latest installment in the storied series is one of the best yet. “Mission Impossible: Fallout” is a fast-paced action movie that keeps you at the edge of your seat the whole time, and it just might be the best action film audiences have seen in years.

Now, it is no secret that Tom Cruise may not be everyone’s favorite person, but no one can deny the man’s acting talents. He has been leading this series for over two decades now, and every single film seems to make the franchise better, which is a very rare feat. Some franchises simply run out of steam, out of ideas, or even out of time. However, “Mission Impossible” seems to keep every movie as fresh as the last one, and audiences just gobble them up.

Alongside Cruise in “Fallout” is his usual cast of characters: series veterans Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames and Michelle Monaghan, as well as newcomers Alec Baldwin, Rebecca Ferguson and Sean Harris. Each and every one of them are an absolute delight to watch, as everyone feels right at home in their roles. The chemistry flows freely, and no one feels out of place at any time.

What is interesting is that while each film is a new chapter in the “Mission Impossible” franchise, “Fallout” feels very much like a direct continuation of the previous movie, 2015’s “Rogue Nation.” All of the main characters returned to continue where the action left off, and that is a good thing in my opinion. By doing so, the movie flowed really well and was also easy to follow. Some action films can get so cluttered, or conversely, are rather empty story-wise. “Fallout” is able to follow an already phenomenal story, and it benefits because of it.

The story was able to go in so many different directions that it was hard to pinpoint what was going to happen next. The twists may have been easy to spot out, but the movie still had some tricks up its sleeve that should leave audiences’ jaws dropped all around the world.

The action sequences were also some of the finest work in the franchise. After scaling the tallest building in the world in “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol,” and hanging off of a giant Atlas C1 military plane on take-off in “Rogue Nation,” where else could the series go for action seekers? Well, rest assured thrill seekers, because Ethan Hunt and the gang pull off some of the craziest stunt scenes yet. There is a helicopter battle through the mountains, a car chase on the streets of France and fist fights that leave the audience gasping for breath as well. There is never a dull moment in the film, and the action sequences and set pieces make sure of that.

The “Mission Impossible” franchise is many things, but it has never been a snooze fest for moviegoers. Some action movies seem to be all action and no plot, but Tom Cruise and company know how to deliver a proper story, and there is no shortage of wild and unimaginable stunts as well. If you are looking for one last action-packed summer blockbuster to carry you into the school year, look no further: “Mission Impossible: Fallout” will have you leaving the theater asking yourself, “How did they do that?” Do yourself a favor and go catch this movie, you can thank me later.