Local theater opportunities in Macon

Local theater opportunities in Macon

Theatre Macon on Cherry Street is hosting auditions for their fall season September 7-8. Photo by Addison Robinson.

Macon is home to a handful of community theaters. If you’re interested in taking to the stage, helping out backstage, or maybe just going to see some performances, here are some upcoming local opportunities.

Mercer University Theatre: Right here on campus, Mercer’s theater department has big plans for their fall season. The cast for their first production was selected last spring, but you can watch in September, as “Interactive Fantasy Theatre” takes to the stage. This show aims to be a bit unorthodox, with the audience heavily involved. The theater department’s Facebook page describes it as a “theatrical, D&D-style production.”

In November, the theater department will put a new spin on Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet” by setting it in an anime-style Verona, according to their Facebook page. Auditions are to come, and information can be found in their Facebook group.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/2203844106/

Macon Little Theatre: Located on Forsyth Road, the Macon Little Theatre plans to perform the Agatha Christie classic “The Mousetrap” in October and the musical “She Loves Me” in December. Check out their website for audition information: www.maconlittletheatre.org

Theatre Macon: According to Theatre Macon’s website, the next auditions for their fall season will take place on Sept. 10 and 11 for “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”. The auditions take place at the theater’s location on Cherry Street at 7:30 p.m. Auditionees will be given scenes to read at the audition.

If you’re more interested in a musical, auditions for Disney’s “Mary Poppins” will take place Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 at the same time and location. The website advises auditionees to prepare 16 bars of a musical theater song and to bring sheet music for their accompanist. In addition, be prepared to learn a short dance routine or perform cold-reads of the script.

Though not required, the website advises bringing a headshot and resume. More information can be found on their site at www.theatremacon.com/auditions.